1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bo Ryan retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 15, 2015.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Does Wisconsin have the rep for being as cheap on the basketball side as it is in football?

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

You know what, that's a good point. Must have had my Wisconsin recruiting mindset set a few years back when UW generally had better control of the state and still didn't roll up that much talent.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I suppose I was fooled by that timing. If I just knew that scene, I would shoot from the hip. I wouldn't be able to point out Rick Barnes made more money than Bo Ryan in 2011, 2012, 2014 and unless he took a pay cut in 2013, that year as well (the USAT data is missing that 2013 number, but Ryan made a hair less than Barnes had in 2012). And weirdly, I also said it's more about the financial support than the coaches salary.

And I guess I don't know the scene. If only there were some highly plugged-in national writer who often talks with coaches who said Texas is considered one of the best jobs out there. If only I could find ... this? Alas, my unfamiliarity got the best of him too.

(And I still like Wisconsin, think it's a good program. But its tradition is limited to 20 years, with highlights of one great coach plus one unreal run in 2000. Again, maybe following the team closely warped my perception.)

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't see that link, it only goes to the main CBS site. (A problem with all the CBS links posted here.) But that sounds like what everybody says about Texas in every sport, and the reality never quite matches up. Remember when Saban was leaving Alabama to go there?

Anyway we will never know regarding Shaka if offers had come from both places at the same time. It would have been an interesting choice.

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Not sure why people are bashing Bo Ryan for this as every coach basically has a list of schools they put on block list or whatever term is. For Wisconsin they usually put conference teams and rival Marquette which I think is common practice among coaches.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Would be an interesting coaching search if Gard isn't retained as HC after season, which as many have stated if pretty likely. I would think Saul Phillips and Ben Jacobson would have good shots at the gig. A sleeper candidate for me is Bryce Drew. Was a finalist for iowa St. gig and has led Valpo to tourney number of times and probably wants out of the Horizon League.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Ryan put something like 30 schools on Uthoff's block list. He put the entire ACC on there because they were all potential opponents. It was excessive.

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I would agree the ACC was excessive just because of ACC-BIG challenge, but just to block a recruit from choosing any team is common place. He is in the norm; don't agree with it but definitely is the case. There was a local kid in my area that left ACC team and was blocked from the other 2 in his final 3 when he committed and I think all ACC teams.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be the norm. It shouldn't be allowed at all. His excessiveness highlighted the unfairness and hypocrisy of the college sports system.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Ryan came off as a stubborn tool in the Uthoff mess.

Uthoff was redshirted, didn't really fit their scheme and was never comfortable at Madison. Simply wanted to go home.

Eventually he relented to let Uthoff transfer to Iowa but the ACC ban was incredibly excessive. If Uthoff was so valuable to Ryan, why redshirt him in the first place?

11. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I agree largely with both statements just simply saying many more coaches than Bo Ryan do it. I agree it shouldn't be the norm. Redshirted Uthoff because he probably benched 135 when he got there. No strength. I think he didn't want him to go to Iowa because it was in BIG which 75 percent of coaches usually block players from. Don't think it's right but it's true. NCAA protecting the players is bogus. Coaches get more protection and NCAA out for themselves. RIley Dearring is leaving Wisconsin wonder what is blocked schools are? From Minnesota so probably Gophers.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you wondered why people were giving Ryan a harder time than others and you got an answer. He took it further than most.

Draft saved Draft deleted