1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bo knows and the Greatest of All Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Do tell more. How do you rate Penthouse and Hustler to Playboy back then?

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Hustler was always just too nasty. Penthouse was the happy ending medium.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Kobe? Really?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As a horny teenager who enjoyed self-exploration, Penthouse's softcore sex pictorials were a welcome treat.
    Playboy had the celebrities, Hustler was almost like an anatomy lesson. Penthouse was both somewhat classy and somewhat raunchy. Happy medium is a good description.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Johnny U was the shit; Wilt was more superior than Jordan; I can'targue about Gretsky. Bob best athlete might be true but Deion Sandars, like him or not, wasn't too shabby as a athlete.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

A lot of hockey people I know maintain that Bobby Orr was GOAT, though it comes with the asterisk.

I get impatient with some who default to Bill Russell for basketball, yielding to the 11 rings. Like there's something inherently noble about stressing team success so completely in what is a debate about individual prowess.

I don't know where the debate begins anymore, much less ends, regarding QBs.

I do sense that MLB is the sport where people want to hang onto or push the stars that resonated most during those folks' prime fan years. So much so that the steroid stuff gets set aside by those who came of age in that "era."

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Or Bobby Orr.

8. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Bo Jackson in his prime is the human I'd want hostile aliens to abduct, so they can shit their pants and warp out of our solar system

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's the youth thing.

The most influential people covering sports right now saw those players when they were growing up.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Yes, Simmons' entire editorial strategy - "Hey, remember this? Neat, huh?"

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I wouldn't quite say Kobe is better than Jordan, but it's a lot closer than most people think.

If they played one-on-one in their respective primes, it would go seven games.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you had to pick one player to start a team with, I cannot imagine anyone taking Kobe or James over Jordan. Jordan was amazing and not the clubhouse cancer Kobe is or the puddle jumper James is.

And Bo is the strongest, fastest and had the best arm of any baseball player of our lifetime.

He had Clemente's arm, Ruth's power and Vince Coleman's speed. Mantle had it, but he got hurt. I don't think Trout has all three like Bo had, to the degree Bo had them. Bo just needed more time hitting to become a better contact hitter.

And no one had the power and speed running the football like Bo.

Just watch the film on him. He was Walker, but better right to left.

Draft saved Draft deleted