1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bo Carter resigns from Big 12

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hed bust, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Look, I don't want to get into a pissing match with you or anyone else on this board about most of the innane subjects that are discussed.
    But don't tell me Bo isn't accessible.
    I think Burda and Corolla are indeed good at what they do.
    But Bo answers e-mails and makes himself accessible like they do.
    It gets to be a turf thing in these conference offices and believe me, I DO know that for a fact.
    People get their turf established and like to be the only ones contacted when certain things break.
    I have no doubt that Bo was told at some recent point to stay out of certain loops.
    Loops he at some point was privvy to.
    I saw first-hand how certain people, who were contacts at a school's SID department, were not involved in crossover game-day activities.
    i.e. - the baseball contact who wasn't plugged into any tasks in the football gameday pressbox.
    I've seen feelings hurt over this.
    But that's the status at some places. Other places seek to involve everyone on the staff in everything.
    You get some egomaniacal folks working both in conferences and in the SID biz, in general. We see them all the time, at lots of schools.
    Bo's never been one of them.
    And the Missouri glitch in the league media guide? Well, shit happens.
    Don't let it potentially stop you from doing your work or from being perfect in the little world you live in.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Bo is one of my favorite people on the planet.

When he was at State, for some reason he was at the Holiday Inn when I pulled in for the first of God knows how many now trips to Starkvegas.

He apologized for the rain.

I'm not sure how and why this all came down, but I don't like it.

Bo did everything but make sure we all had our own receipts after he bought us dinner at a swanky (ahem, everything's relative) steak house in Omaha while covering the CWS.

Bo will bounce back on his feet, that much we know. He'll just be missed by hundreds of ink-stained wretches throughout the Big 12 and the SEC. Now that I think about, Bo, come back to State, and throw a skittish, unreasonable and prickly (pun definitely intended) MSU sports info type in a cannon from the circus down the street.

I'll light that sucker if you like. But the competition will be fierce ...

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When I was an SID at a D-1 school, the conference SIDs got all the team information from the school SIDs and then sent PDFs of media guide pages for the SIDs to proof before the book went to press. So maybe, just maybe, that Missouri glitch wasn't Bo's fault, at least not totally.

And just to echo everyone else, Bo is certainly a great guy. I met him when I was an intern in the early '90s and have kept in contact off and on throughout the years. He's one of the best.

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Agree with all the comments on Bo being an absolutely great guy. Have dealt with him for years.

But the guy would flat wear me out on the phone. I'll bet no one has ever had like a two-minute conversation with him unless they just hung up on him. You'd call him for something and at the end have to spend five minutes listening to him apologize for taking up your time.

But it was OK. Just part of his charm.

Draft saved Draft deleted