1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blueprint for nuclear warhead found on smugglers' computers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 16, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And there's a nice, cheery headline for you late risers to start the day with. :D

<blockquote>WASHINGTON — American and international investigators say that they have found the electronic blueprints for an advanced nuclear weapon on computers that belonged to the nuclear smuggling network run by Abdul Qadeer Khan, the rogue Pakistani nuclear scientist, but that they have not been able to determine whether they were sold to Iran or the smuggling ring’s other customers.

The plans appear to closely resemble a nuclear weapon that was built by Pakistan and first tested exactly a decade ago. But when confronted with the design by officials of the International Atomic Energy Agency last year, Pakistani officials insisted that Dr. Khan, who has been lobbying in recent months to be released from the loose house arrest that he has been under since 2004, did not have access to Pakistan’s weapons designs.</blockquote>

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/world/asia/15nuke.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin

More coverage (including the headline I stole) here, from The Guardian.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Every time I read about this guy Khan, I think of Bond movies where the evil villain is a "rogue scientist." This is one of the few real-world examples of such a person.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Loose House Arrest = We Aren't Really Keeping An Eye On This Guy

Draft saved Draft deleted