1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue-ray player?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm hooking up the one I got for Christmas today.

What can I expect from my experience vs. traditional DVD players?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Unrelenting awesome.

If you have a 1080p TV, Blu-Ray is currently the only way you get full use out of it, as broadcast outputs are still only 720p.

Make sure you're using HDMI cables, though.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You'll notice a lot more detail. If the player comes with a USB port, you can probably play varying file types off of a flash drive. So if you took some movies with a mobile device or something like that, you can easily just pop in a USB stick with the file on it and watch it without much hassle.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What LTL said.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Most broadcast are 720P. There are some networks in 1080I, although they often have problems with blocking in my experience.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

NBC and CBS are 1080i, ABC and Fox are 720p. ESPN group is 720p. NBC Sports group is 1080i. The theory is, 1080i offers more detail, 720p better motion (fewer artifacts). I can see the former, can't tell the difference on the latter. But 1080p (too much info to broadcast over-the-air) blows them both away.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Planet Earth on Blu-Ray is probably the No. 2 most amazing visual experience I've ever had.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why would you need a blu ray for network broadcasts?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No, we're just saying Blu-Ray is the only way you're going to get full 1080p. Network telecasts hold your TV back from its capabilities. (I think there's a movie service called Vudu that streams in 1080p, though.)

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Blues player named Ray?

[​IMG]

Oh, Blu-ray.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Does it make a difference if you're watching Blu Ray through your PS3? Cause that's how I watch them, and really, I don't see that big a difference between that and my regular DVD player.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In research Blu ray designers have found that only about half the viewers can see in 1080P and tell the difference between Blu Ray and and DVD.

There is a test that an eye doctor can do to tell you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted