1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue Light Special: Behind the scenes at media day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scott Carter, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Scott Carter

Scott Carter New Member

Times are tough as booster donations and media coverage dwindle for many big-time college programs ... here is one way FSU is trying to raise a little dough. (interesting disclaimer at the bottom) ... anybody heard of other schools doing this?

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080309aab.html

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Smart move by FSU to do this, but do you really think they would kick out a big-wig booster if they won the auction?

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's interesting.

It's also interesting that the photo of Bowden in that release has him sitting at a dais with the reporters not provided chairs.

4. Scribe4Sports

Scribe4Sports New Member

Purdue also does this. They typically have one auction for each football game. Winning bidders are given access to sit in the press box and attend the post-game press conference of the head coach, among other activities.

They did it last year and I don't remember any problems with fan behavior. I think they also do it for basketball, but I'm not entirely sure.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Haven't heard about anything like that down here, but I did read over the weekend that as a cost-saving measure, Cal is bussing from Berkeley to Pasadena when it plays UCLA. The blog item I saw also wondered if the Bears would have done that if they were playing at USC this season.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Damn, that's about a 6-7 hour trip on a bus.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

San Jose State did that a few years ago when it played at USC. Undoubtedly didn't matter.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dude...the bid is at $420. Sweet.

9. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

420?
    Who's bidding on this thing?
    Preston Parker?

10. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Some poor sap is gonna end up PAYING to go go media day? This is tremendous.

Draft saved Draft deleted