1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue Jays beat writers’ obsession with StatCast numbers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sea Bass, Aug 31, 2022.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Or hoping to get picked up by FanGraphs or Baseball Prospectus.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

More than disliking new-era stats, I grow weary of the amateur sabermetricians who hold their nose if they must reference old, established numbers like batting average and ERA.

Do they have their limitations? Sure. Have they lost all legitimacy? Nope -- if only for the fact that they're common and useful to both the casual and the intense fan to draw comparisons.

And you didn't become Thomas Boswell when you discovered defensive WAR, dude.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    SixToe, MeanGreenATO, Fdufta and 4 others like this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'm with the chorus in being worn out and annoyed by the reliance on numbers and dumb stats that obscure the bottom line (if the ball was caught or resulted in an out, I don't care about its hit probability), and thus I clicked the link expecting to hate it...but it was actually OK. I thought Shi did a good job of using the advanced stats to underline the difficulty of the catch given Hernandez's ankle and foot issues. He transitioned pretty easily from there into a solid modern featurized gamer. OK let me have it. :D

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I knew a guy who had one of those FanGraphs jobs. Loved doing it for about a year and was tapped out and burned out.

maumann likes this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I like analytics and acknowledge they lead to better chances of winning and a greater understanding of a player's contribution. Game to game it's a slog..
    It's just another lazy way to call a game or do write up.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore their names are Famine, Pestilence, Destruction, and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are DVOA, win rate, success rate and yards per route run."

Batman, dixiehack, SixToe and 11 others like this.
  7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

One of the best posts I’ve seen on here in a long time.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Yeah that was outstanding. First-ballot HOF stuff.

9. Lmao. Brilliant.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Ray Guy marvels at the hang time on that post. Well done.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I want to see the numbers of the algebra and trig and geometry behind the Backdoor Maddux.

12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

This post according to my calculations is worth 5 WAR on its own!

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted