1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue Jackets Reporter - Columbus, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

The Columbus Dispatch is seeking a veteran Sports Reporter to report, analyze and write news stories covering the Columbus Blue Jackets. The ideal candidate will be a top-flight writer who can cover the beat with precision and flair while serving as an ambassador for the paper. They should have demonstrated job skills, the ability to communicate both orally and in writing; be able to deal effectively with the public in complex situations; have ability to conduct interviews, complete research, and organize information and materials. Must have the ability to develop and utilize contacts in the community, work well under pressure and meet daily deadlines. Prefer a bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field and experience at a metro daily newspaper covering college and professional sports. We are looking for someone who understands the digital future of journalism and can deliver our coverage to those who live on their phones and computers. Please apply on dispatch.com/careers. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Negative: Torts.

Positive: Season is guaranteed to be over by late April.

3. cubman

cubman Member

This posting was to replace Steve Gorten. Now, their other Jackets writer is leaving ...

So in short, the Dispatch is having to completely replace their Jackets coverage team for the second year in a row.
    OSU basketball beat writer Adam Jardy is covering the prospects camp this weekend in Traverse City, Michigan. He pitched in on Jackets coverage last year before Gorten and Richards got here.

4. Writer

Writer Member

They probably need to hire at least one younger guy and hope he sticks around for five years.

5. cubman

cubman Member

Makes me wonder why either of them left south Florida in the first place. Glad for both of them that they got to return home (it was posted in another thread that Richards is joining The Athletic to cover his old team, the Panthers). I've done the reverse sojourn, from Ohio to the South (albeit Texas, not Florida), and was more than ready to come back after two years.
    I have to think Michael Arace will figure in on the Jackets beat, if only temporarily. He was one of the original beat writers, along with Portzline. Has been writing columns the past few years, most of which lately have concerned the Crew and its likely-imminent move, but he has a ton of hockey knowledge.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I don't think George was planning on leaving but he had an opportunity to go back home to a familiar face.

Gorten I don't know there. I think it was a family thing.

7. cubman

cubman Member

The Dispatch has one new Jackets writer. Brian Hedger, who came from BlueJackets.com.

8. Writer

Writer Member

To me that seems like a worse job. At least writing for NHL.com you seem to have a stable job compared to the newspaper industry.

9. Working for a team has its own kinds of BS that comes with it. It's a tradeoff.

Brian Hedger is a really good guy. I'm happy for him.

10. cubman

cubman Member

If they are hiring a second Jackets writer, I wonder if it could be this guy ...

Lysowski: Goodbyes are never easy

Article says he is taking "a position at a metropolitan newspaper not far from Pittsburgh" and "I'll be back in Pittsburgh for the next professional beat I'll be covering." If the Dispatch is hiring a second Jackets writer, both these descriptions would fit. I have no inside info, just a guess. Dispatch staff is fairly small now to have writers from other beats pitching in on Jackets coverage, especially with OSU men's and women's basketball getting going and Tim May leaving after football season having taken a buyout.
    I interviewed for a Sports Web Producer position there about two months ago that ultimately was not filled because of budgetary reasons.

11. Golfswing13

Golfswing13 New Member

He will be covering hockey, but not in Columbus ...

Draft saved Draft deleted