1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue Jackets dump sideline reporter for "negativity"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 21, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm a nobody, you're national media, maybe that's it. Maybe he's changed since I dealt with him many years ago.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Having heard JT the Brick trash everyone and everything in sports (except the Raiders who cut him a check) is kind of sad. It's not that I think he was any good ever - it's just pathetic.
    There was a sports talk host who trashed the Giants free-swinging hitters, unfortunately he mentioned that they were mostly Latin players and forgot that not only was the station the flagship of the Giants, but the station had an ownership stake in the team. Said talk host was canned.
    These days watching a local broadcast of a team is like that final soccer game in "Victory." Total propaganda. I get enough fanboi crap from callers, I don't need it from the announcers.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Back before the baseball season, the wife and I had reason to dial in FSN Northwest on the dish.

Every so often, we'd see a promo about them being the Mariners' flagship station.

One of the anchors is talking throughout. Toward the end, she says, "We not only cover the team, but we're fans too. We are unapologetic homers."

I guess there's something to be said about bringing it out from backstage...

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

He had them removed from the telecasts too, didn't he?

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Cunningham for sure. He went to Cogeco in Sarnia and moved on last season to do Saginaw's radio.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Same reason Peter Tom Willis was canned as Florida State's color guy the year before last. He had the audacity to question some of Bowden's moves on the air, including the continued employment of Jeff Bowden.

And they didn't fire him until well after JBowden was gone.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Why can't the media be more like Bish?

"John Bishop (a.k.a. Bish) is the team's beat writer. He covers the Bruins hoping to offer a positive look at the team, not only from the stands and press box, but also from inside the locker room."

http://bruins.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=NewsIndex&location=/bish

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's worked with ther
    It worked with the White House press corps, why not sports?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Worse than the ever-helpful Jim McKellar in London?

Sorry.....stupid question. No one else could be that bad/useless.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Won't take the bait on that one, JJ. Jim's one of my buds at the league level. I don't have to deal with him like you did (I have heard complaints similar to yours before), but we work very closely on a lot of league-related stuff.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Gotcha, Huggy. Didn't mean to put you on the spot. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted