1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue Jackets dump sideline reporter for "negativity"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 21, 2009.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Absolutely insane.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Very disappointing.

And it looks like Fox caved in.

Also, Blue Jackets management remains angry, according to sources, that Day did not conform to the club's request to NOT mention late majority owner John H. McConnell on the night the Blue Jackets clinched a playoff spot, April 8 in Chicago. He also didn't follow along by acknowledging that it took the club eight seasons to make the playoffs.

Most regional broadcasters are pretty much homers (Jack Edwards, anyone?) but this is ridiculous.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Why didn't they want him to mention McConnell?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No idea. Maybe they thought paying tribute to the dead founder and owner would have been a downer.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Certainly not the first team to act this way. I think baseball is the worst. Lots of local/regional broadcasts are little more than a 3-hour commercial to sell tickets and club seats, with announcers prohibited from questioning coaching strategies, player actions or anything else that might be taken to reflect negatively on the team in question.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And then there is Marty Brenneman.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Urban Meyer approves this firing.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Who do the Jackets think they are? The London Knights?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Didn't one of the Hunter brothers go after Rogers/Cogeco a few year's back because they thought the broadcasters weren't supportive enough? Or made critical comments?

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Mark Hunter felt the guys doing the games, specfically PBP guy Leigh Cunningham weren't big enough homers.

I will also add that while I haven't dealt with that many NHL PR directors, Todd Sharrock was easily the worst I have encountered.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Surprised at that, Huggy. Sharrock's been very good in my dealings with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted