1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue Bell Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Jun 2, 2006.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

As a recent transplant to Texas, Blue Bell is more consistently good, and not that much pricier to me. Like, it's $5 or $6 for a big tub of it. HEB brand can be half that price, but the consistency is all over the place. We do like their pints though - Some are comparable to Ben & Jerry's in terms of quality, and that pretty much never goes on sale out here, vs. New England, where you'd see 4-for-$10 sales at times.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SixToe likes this.
  3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I love me some Blue Bell, but I'll never say no to a carton of some Mayfield cookie dough.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

One manufacturer in eastern North Carolina - Coble - used to be sneaky good. Not a gourmet label, but consistency was top-notch and I've tasted enough bad ice cream since to appreciate Coble really was.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Quality necromancy. Picks right up after 14-plus years.

Inky_Wretch and sgreenwell like this.
  6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

H-E-B is not the dominant grocery chain. You can only find H-E-B in Houston, San Antonio, Austin. Live in the DFW area, no H-E-Bs (except wayyyyy down south). Used to live out in the western part of the state, no H-E-B.

Blue Bell is available everywhere.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tillamook wild mountain blackberry. Yum.

I Should Coco and sgreenwell like this.
  8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I said in "much of Texas," not all of Texas. In much of Texas, it is dominant. Maybe not in DFW, but elsewhere....it's everywhere.

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I've never had Tillamook ice cream, but the sliced cheddar is fantastic (albeit incredibly expensive). I'll add Ben & Jerry's wild Maine blueberry, which used to only be available for maybe a month at the Maine shops.

I like to try local ice cream everywhere I go. Leopold's in Savannah may be the best I've had. I'm also partial to the old-school Chinatown Ice Cream Factory in NYC.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Mngwa likes this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The Central Dairy creamery south of me is better than Blue Bell by orders of magnitude. Tillamook ice cream from the creamery is also very, very good.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Häagen-Dazs for me, always.

HC likes this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ah, the creamery on campus. Will absorb cow college jokes for more of that ...

Draft saved Draft deleted