1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue Bell Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Jun 2, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Moddy's right. Graeter's is pretty damn good (though I had it in a strip mall in Lexington).

But goddamn I love me some Blue Bell.

2. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

Agreed. I'm sure there's lots better things to spend $90 on.

Even if it is the best ice cream on Earth, it still isn't worth $90 for a gallon or whatever.

Coldstone Creamery is just as good, if not better. In fact, I'm sure anyone one of else can find damn good ice cream at any of our local stores.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Luckily, I'm not an ice cream gourmand. I buy the brand that the grocery store has on sale during a given week.

4. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

Ah for the most part, ice cream is ice cream. But there can be a difference between the real cheap off-brand kind and Breyer's, etc.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm kind of a food snob so i'm confused about how blue bell can be compare with ben & jerry's (awesome) and cold stone (in my opinion no better than supermarket brand) and, as central illinoisian said, no better than anything else in the store.

to each his own, i guess.

it sounds like maybe people are paying because they've bought into the hype -- kind of like how krispy kreme used to be considered this unbelievably delicious treat until every gas station convenience store started selling them and you realized you've been eating glazed donuts like this since you were a kid. if 'they' tell you it's delicious, you'll think it's delicious.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

About the only difference is that Breyer's and Edy's have about 10 times more varieties. And there may be some store brands that are lame, but the ones I've gotten have been A-OK. And anyone who buys Ben and Jerry's or Haagan-Daaz, spending the same amount of money for half the amount of Edy's you'd get, is a little too brand loyal, IMO.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

IIRC, you get four half-gallons for the $90.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wherever I've lived, and most decent-size places I've traveled to, I've found small, independent places that make their own ice cream or gelato (not from a mix), and it's better than anything mass-produced. It's not all that hard to find, and it beats paying $90 for a shipment of commercial stuff.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

My b-day is less than 2 weeks away so I may splurge. Need something with the cake.
    The key lime sounds sinful.
    I'm just kicking myself for not getting any when I was in Orlando a couple months back.

10. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I love ice cream, so I take it pretty seriously....have never had Blue Bell, so I can't say (though, now I would consider $90 to the local food pantry far preferable to engaging in that sort of self indulgence.)....But, anybody tried the new Dove Ice Cream pints, with the layer of chocolate on top?....yikes it's good....

11. Grohl

Grohl Guest

Good call, Moddy. Here's the story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/31/dining/31blue.html?ex=1149393600&en=7c0f44d8d3ca9b08&ei=5070

"But I can recall no American commercial ice cream in a league with Blue Bell except the remarkable Graeter's, which is made in Cincinnati and sold only there and in a few nearby cities."

12. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

Blue Bell Sprinkle Twist was all you can eat at the SEC Tournament in the press box. Single greatest flavor of ice cream I have ever come across.

Draft saved Draft deleted