1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blown Transmission! How Much?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, my current car's original price, plus every repair since (one wheel bearing, one tie rod, one new driver's seat [the track broke]), brakes and a new set of tires has cost me exactly $307 per month during the lifespan of the car. If that keeps up, I need this bugger to last six more months to keep that pace.

After that, I'll consider it gravy because I'm still on the battery it came with and haven't done exhaust work. Those are the next two things to go, I'm sure.

September is my goal.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had a standard tranny rebuilt and installed for $700 about three years ago. The place I took it has always been very reasonable, but it's 20 miles away; that's the drawback.

Do not take it to a dealership: You will pay double and maybe triple for parts and labor.

If you have an automatic tranny as I assume you do, it may be something as simple as a leaky seal and it's out of fluid. Since you had some half-assed function with it, that may be your only problem. They'll have to pull it to replace the seals, but at least you wouldn't be forking over cash for a new one.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Good call on the first part. But do you really need a minivan?

4. This thread has me nervous. I've spent the last two days worrying my transmission will fall out of my work car and I'll have to find a new one in a hurry.

I have a 97 Chevy with a manual transmission. The car is worth about $1,200 in better condition than mine is, though mine runs really well aside from the occassional water pump/radiator issue. But it's been paid off and the $300 to fix that stuff a couple of times a year is better than a car payment.

Any way to prolong the life of a transmission?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When you know you'll be stopped for a decent period of time - even at a stoplight - take the vehicle out of gear and release the clutch pedal. That saves a lot of wear on the flywheel.

Shift it easy when you can ... smooth, easy shifts and smooth work with the clutch is about all one can ask to make a transmission last.

6. Thanks. With 135,000 miles, I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Write: The other thing is, a clutch shouldn't cost as much as an automatic transmission. I had to do a clutch on a 92 Isuzu Trooper several years ago, at about 130,000 miles, and it was under a grand. Finally got rid of the truck about a year and a half ago, at about 175,000.

Draft saved Draft deleted