1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blown Transmission! How Much?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 17, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It can just as easily be towed to another transmission shop. You don't want to leave it sitting at the shop for a week, but you could easily make a half-dozen phone calls in an hour Monday morning.

2. I agree. I had this happen about seven years ago. Now I fear it's going to happen to my current ride.

Just take a deep breath and buy a new car.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My second car began and ended its life with me with bookend blown trannies. First one was within 30 days of purchase, so I only paid half of the repair, but that was still 800 bucks in 1997. Second one was on the way to a job interview around 2002, I think. Didn't get the job, and decided that a $2,000 repair for a 1991 Buick with an indeterminate amount of miles wasn't worth it. (the odometer broke at 90K after speeding forward and then going backwards for a little bit, but I'll guess 175K)

Good luck (I'd go with trying to get something else if the money is there, because it's hard to justify dropping four digits on a car that will be lucky to see 175K)

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, I finally got an estimate: $1,800 for a new one. "A little less" for a used one.

I don't give a shit, I'm cheap and I'm in super-save mode, so I'm getting a used one and hoping my ride lasts one more year.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Best of luck, Pete. Don't say we didn't warn ya.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Haha. I know. I know. I went car shopping today (and I'm going tomorrow between games) but I just can't part with that much money (and by "that much" I mean $15,000 for a good two-year old car).

I found a great deal today, but I just keep saying to myself "$15,000 or $1,500?"

7. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Sorry Pete, but I'm not a big fan of this idea either.

Good luck.

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Whoops.... a little quick on the trigger there.

The thing is, that $1,500 can quickly turn into $2,500 and you'll have the make the same decision when the next part goes out.

Good luck again.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Does that include labor and installation? Is a warranty offered with said transmission?

I understand that it costs less - doesn't take a math or statistics expert to figure that out - but the concern that you're throwing good money after bad is still there. Sorry if you feel like we're piling on, but I hope you get the idea ...

10. Pete Incaviglia

I know, but the shape our business is in at the moment, I don't want to be saddled with a loan or car payment. I'd rather pay cash for a car (should be able to do so in about a year). So I'm just going to try and get through to September when the 2009 models roll into showrooms and the 2008s go on sale.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Yes, that's labor, taxes, new transmission and lifetime warranty.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hold your breath and hope nothing else breaks, then. It could pay off if this happens ...

Draft saved Draft deleted