1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blown Transmission! How Much?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, been surfing the net, reading this thread, discussing it with the wife and crunching the numbers.

I'll have to wait for at least an estimate/work/repair option before I make a move.

I'm going to estimate a grand.

If that's the case, and I think I can get a year out of it, I will. I just put new tires on in November.

However, it still has the original factory battery and exhaust. Both of which will go next, I'm sure.

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Yep, about $2,000 sounds right. At least that's what it cost to replace a transmission five years ago on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. If it's a standard (stick shift) transmission it'll be less expensive, but considering the age of the car and the mileage, it'd be better to put the $2,000 down for a new car.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

Chrsylers suck with transmissions. I've got a 2002 Chrysler that is in the shop now after the transmission went out. Turns out it was a burned solenoid pack. Getting the pack replaced, plus flushing out the transmission fluid and labor, is costing $550.

4. Pete Incaviglia

I'm hoping that's all it is: A solenoid pack. (and yes, Chrysler's are notorious for bad solenoid packs).

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Loss of gears will not be a solenoid pack, unfortunately. Especially with no reverse.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Transmission shops are not like regular mechanics. You have a specific problem. You won't be a captive audience, like at a mechanic. So, pick up the phone, go down the phonebook, and start calling.
    "Hi, I'm Pete Incaviglia and I have a 2000 ___________. How much for a rebuilt transmission?"
    Next one. And so on. "Hey, Bob's Tranny's said they can do it for $1,100 out the door. Can you beat that?"

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As regards the new tires, beware of the economic principle of sunk cost. I know it sucks that you just put the tires on, but whether you get a new transmission or a new car, you still spent the money on the tires. You're not getting that back.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Good points. Including the post before this.

Problem is, the car was towed to a transmission shop. a reputable one according the locals I work with.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Scrap the car if at all financially feasible. See what a junkyard will give you for the vehicle, which will be scrapped for parts.

If you can't get a new vehicle of your dreams, look at a 3-4-year-old Nissan, Honda or Toyota.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, yes they do.

The fact that Chrysler now offers a lifetime powertrain warranty is laughable.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's nice. So you won't pay for replacement transmissions and labor. But the five-year-old MoPar will still spend more time on hoists in the dealership service department than a 15-year-old Honda or Toyota.

12. Blown transmission = cringe. And loss of sleep. I've been there. Just get a new car.

Draft saved Draft deleted