1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloomberg: Universities Becoming Bastions of Intolerence

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 30, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some choice words from the former NYC Mayor as Harvard's
    commencement speaker.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/29/us/bloomberg-harvard-speech/

"This spring, it has been disturbing to see a number of college commencement speakers withdraw -- or have their invitations rescinded -- after protests from students and -- to me, shockingly -- from senior faculty and administrators who should know better,"

"Today, on many college campuses, it is liberals trying to repress conservative ideas, even as conservative faculty members are at risk of becoming an endangered species,"

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The usual whining from one of the monied elite when people tell them to their face they suck. Defer the wisdom my bank account has granted me!

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No, he might be onto something here.

Haverford was supposed to have the University of California chancellor speak. But student activists didn't like that the UC police used force to disperse a protest a few years ago, so they sent Birgeneau a list of demands -- including an apology for that incident on a campus 2,000 miles away -- before they would consider allowing him to speak. He said forget it, and his replacement used the speech to call students "immature" and "arrogant," which was very much correct.

http://articles.philly.com/2014-05-18/news/49928236_1_birgeneau-haverford-students-haverford-college

And then you have the Condi Rice situation -- whatever the political leanings are, she is in good standing at Stanford and certainly someone that the academic community in general respects.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Students shouldn't be trusted to think for themselves.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Bloomberg was pretty intolerant to anyone who smoked who liked big sodas.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm sure the 1800 or so folk who were arrested at the 2004 convention in New York are completely in sympathy.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmm ... There's a kernel of truth in that there idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted