1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloomberg : Debates a Waste of Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Is Mike going to Run? I would take a hard look at him.

Bloomberg: U.S. 'Is in Trouble'
    On the Coast He Chides Candidates

By JOSH GERSTEIN
    Staff Reporter of the Sun
    June 19, 2007

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Mayor Bloomberg is decrying the state of the 2008 presidential race, faulting the major party candidates for offering shallow, simplistic prescriptions, and scolding the press for failing to demand more from those seeking the White House.

During an appearance at Google's headquarters in Silicon Valley yesterday, Mr. Bloomberg said the televised debates among the presidential candidates have been, in essence, a waste of time.

"They have absolutely nothing to do with the job and the qualifications. And they don't tell you anything about whether or not any of those candidates would be good or bad presidents. What they really say is, did they memorize their notes of ‘What to say if …' and whether their staff was able to anticipate," the mayor said. "If you look at both debates, they pandered, what I would argue, the same ways."

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think he's right.

All the debates tell you a lot of times is who has debating and speaking skills, and how well the staffs have prepared the candidate with talking points and one-liners. It doesn't give you any idea of how well somebody would do once they hold office.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm really hoping for that Hagel-Bloomberg, or whatever ticket. I'd look hard at Bloomberg too.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Well, Bush sucks at debating and speaking, and he's been an awful president, so maybe they do tell us something.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gotta back John on this one. Debates are more or less a job interview. If a candidate can't express what he believes in and where he or she wants to take the country. I think they are the root of our democracy. You can be a little-known candidate but kick ass in the debate and improve your chances, gain more support and money and become more well-known.
    If a candidate isn't prepared for a debate, why would I support him or her? And what does that tell me about what kind of job they would do if they gain office.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

W did OK in business school, too.

Mike harbors delusions. I want to pass him on a New York street, so I can blow cigar smoke in his face.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I bet you love the proposed congestion charge, too

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Utterly-regressive tax, no matter how the Midget attempts to spin it . . .

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . not to mention, another bureauracy established . . . at an annual maintenance cost of close to half the projected income. Why bother?

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Bloomberg: Campaign a Waste of Time

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just APPOINT me, already.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

And he just dumped the GOP. He's now unaffiliated. I like him more already. And I think you guys wont' want to read Time Magazine this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted