1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Bloody Monday at Kansas City Star'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

Good luck to my friends and everyone still there.

From Bottomline Communications, a media website in Kansas City
    http://www.bottomlinecom.com/kcnews/bloodymondayatkcstar.html

"As if things have not been ugly enough at Kansas City's leading newspaper in the past, the word now is that on Monday (and possibly Tuesday) the latest newsroom layoffs at the Kansas City Star will be greater than the three previous news layoffs---combined.
    The word is there have been very heated arguments in the newsroom involving Managing Editor Steve Shirk over who which journalists will be let go and which ones will be retained.
    One source close to the situation reports about 67 people will be affected in the newsroom, which will impact the news product even more dramatically than previous cutbacks. There is even talk of the local and business sections being eliminated and incorporated into the "A" section.
    In addition, a number of people will have their hours cut to 32, including some columnists. Two columnists already mentioned with reduced hours (and pay) include Mike Hendricks and Steve Penn.
    "I don't think that the term 'newsroom armegeddon' is too strong of a term," said a source close to the situation. The source pointed out that the Star charging customers 25 cents for its TV guide (link) and fining carriers $5 for missed deliveries are just two indications of how grim things really are on Grand Blvd.
    "...those things are bad, but having no staff to put together a paper is even worse. The reporters working there will need months of therapy when all of this is over."

2. jps

jps Active Member

christ.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This 32 hour thing is depressing. What chain thought of that classic thing?
    I imagine there would be heated discussions of who to cut. How the fuck do you cut anybody? These people were hired for a reason. They probably all are really good.
    Fuck this business. Best wishes to Kansas City Star employees about to get axed or cut to 32 hours. What the fuck is that???

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yup.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

any more detail concerning sports?

6. Simon

Simon Active Member

I've heard a couple of names rumored to be leaving but I haven't confirmed any. Also, I don't think it is fair to post these names because they might not have details yet.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw, didn't ask for rumor.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Good luck to everyone there. I interned there in sports a few summers ago and the people that worked there were great to me.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A sad day at my favorite paper.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Good luck, folks.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Complete speculation here, but I would imagine they will at least be trying to buy out one of the columnists. I have no idea what kind of contract either Pos or Whitlock has, but I can't imagine both will be there after the purge, which is sad because I love reading both for completely different reasons...

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

A-Rod likes to dress up like a woman.

Draft saved Draft deleted