1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloodsucking at LAT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Jun 12, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

How many times do we have to jump the shark before there are no more sharks to jump?

2. VJ

VJ Member

If it saves more jobs, who gives a damn?

Your paper's credibility won't feed your kids.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

This is bad, but is this worse that putting the bulk of the Sunday LAT inside the comics?

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I wonder if that ad -- with the Times logo, and with that photo underneath -- was offered to the advertisers as a paid placard ad for the windows of all the Times' on-street newspaper boxes?

Just in principle, and not considering the cash cow that this probably was, I'd have been more OK with that than I am with this.

The paper probably still could have charged a bundle, and the advertiser still would have gotten good play and plenty of widespread and compelling promotion for its product.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not if they run it wrap like they do our half-page 1A wrap ad -- which is connected to the last page in the A-section (often the op/ed page, for us).

Discard the ad, you can't read the opinion columns. So you're stuck with it, which is a pain in the ass because it doesn't fold right and it's awkward to hold. We've gotten hundreds of angry phone calls about it. Everybody hates it. But hey, we got our money, right? ::)

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, yeah, that's the way I'd look at it.

Hundreds of calls? Hey, that's great. People care.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

This is probably the idea of Trib innovation chief ... Ah, hell, the a-hole whose name I can't remember right now.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is extremely poor marketing by the LA Times. Your masthead is your corporate logo, your brand. To sell it to somebody else is not smart. I'm surprised the newsprint wasn't soggy from flop sweat, 'cause that's what this reeks of.
    People buy the paper to read it. If you take such a flamboyant means of saying you think your business is delivering eyeballs to advertisers, X number of readers will conclude you don't give a shit about the product you are selling them. And they'll be right.
    Front page ads don't bother me. They've been around in newspapers since forever. This, however, is what Harvard Business School calls "pissing in the soup."

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's just it. IT WON'T SAVE JOBS AND it stinks to high Heaven.

Our credibility may be the only thing we take away from our journalism careers. I don't want to just sell it to the highest bidder.

10. VJ

VJ Member

And you know this how?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The LA Times has had Hollywood's balls in its mouth for many, many years.

What's new?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pusbag . . . Leah Pusbag.

Draft saved Draft deleted