1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloodletting at Lee papers in Greensboro, Winston-Salem

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sammi, Sep 16, 2020.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Regarding preps: One possibility is that Joe Sirera, the Greensboro preps reporter, will also cover preps for the Winston-Salem coverage area. Not ideal at all, of course.

2. BlastfromPast

BlastfromPast New Member

By my quick count, 22 public high schools combined in the two counties where Winston and Greensboro are located. That's a lot for one guy.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I cover two counties with 18 schools - not ideal. Just do the best I can every day.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The current population of High Point is about 119,000 (it is growing really rapidly). I wonder if any newspaper in a town that size or smaller still has an editorial staff of 18?

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Plus quite a few high-level (meaning state title contender) private schools and charter schools ...

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Don't think so ... maybe a few paper boxes ...

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

When I was in school, I had it delivered to my apartment. But that’s coming up on 25 years ago.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Why is Lee laying so many off? Are they owned by hedge fund?

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Mary Junck and her merry band will do anything to ensure that they get their bonuses. Anything.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You know things might be bad when a suit gets whacked.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It’s painful when you stop and realize how little that math matters to anyone anymore.

I wonder what percentage of HS FB games 20 years ago had a reporter at them, compared to today (or to a today non-pandemic season.)

I’ve been out for a couple years... I assume we’re at the point where fans and schools don’t expect coverage or realize what’s *not* there any more?

Draft saved Draft deleted