1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloodletting at Lee papers in Greensboro, Winston-Salem

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sammi, Sep 16, 2020.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Greensboro and Winston Salem are still printed locally, no?

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hundreds of journalists? Try thousands.

My first stop after college was at a Lee paper. I was there for eight months? It was an old Howard paper and there were legacy issues already, but you could tell then Lee was just like the rest of 'em.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It's beyond disgusting. Of course it's like that everywhere now.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

John Dell will likely pick up the Wake Forest beat, since Winston-Salem State and the other D-II schools aren't doing fall sports ... but they're gonna have to make a decision soon about which is more important -- Appalachian State or preps ...

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I hear you - and I know you know the area better than just about all of us - but what makes anyone think they care about even the Wake Forest beat, much less Appalachian or high schools?

Conor had earned his stripes - did well with Bob Sutton in Burlington before getting the call up - and they couldn't be bothered to retain him. Lee would have looked at Dan Collins' experience, automatically assumed he made more than some kid right out of school and he would have been gone.

Guess Mary Junck and Co. needed to justify their existence and grab a bonus. Again.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Might as well not have a sports section if you're not going to cover anything or have a columnist.
    Another day of jubilee for Trumpists.

7. Tarheel316

They would be crazy to choose App over preps.

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

You'd think that, but they've been keeping the App beat going for years now when any other paper in the country would have dropped a college located a good 90-minute drive from the office ...

tapintoamerica likes this.
  9. Tarheel316

Yeah I really don’t get that. Plus preps pulls a lot more page views.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

There's no reason to buy a newspaper, absolutely no reason except for boomers to satisfy their lifelong addiction to reading a newspaper in the morning. The disgusting pay model of only paying the upper level suits while not giving reporters raises over the last 15 years is appalling. Just kill the print product already, suits. Thank you.

11. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

And then, what of Fredrick?

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does Winston Salem offer home delivery in Boone?

Draft saved Draft deleted