1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blood in the streets of Hartford and Baltimore

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baltimoreguy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Looks like Tribune is really chopping now.

Media Gossip has the memos from Hartford:
    http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13435

and Baltimore
    http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13436

Hartford is cutting news hole and staff by 25 percent. Wow! Sure we're losing subscribers now, but people will flock to sign up once we reduce the product by one-quarter.

Baltimore buying out/laying off 100 people.

Never, ever when I got the hell out of Gannett did I think I would look at that company as visionary. But they were way ahead of the industry in turning newspapers to slender, graphic-laden shit.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mother****

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

God damn.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i love this site. it's easily my favorite, but I think I'm going to have to avoid it for the next two days, just so i can go 48 hours without hearing about how badly our brethern are getting fucked.

5. This weekend, at a party with friends, I was getting one lecture after another (from friends and relatives outside the business) about how I shouldn't leave this business, how fun and glamourous it must be, how I've always done it, and about how, "Do you really want to be a lawyer???"

How can someone 30 or younger - hell, 40 or younger - look at this news every day and not look for an escape? It's irresponsible, to me, to do otherwise.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Already got a Hartford thread here.

So between the two, that's 157, plus 99 at Daytona Beach and 130 at Palm Beach. That's just this week, and the week ain't over yet.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Waylon, some of us have never done anything else.

8. I haven't, either. Not since I was like 15.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed, so I'll stay in the biz till the biz no longer needs me. Then I'll flip burgers and slang caine.

10. I can't do it. I know that makes me a big fucking sellout, and that makes me sick to my stomach almost all day, every day, but I read news like this two or three times a day, I go years without a raise, and it's like, what's the point?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In other Tribune news, the Orlando Sentinel is sending all 78 of their deputy sports editors to the APSE convention...

12. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

4 p.m. newsroom meeting at The Sun. Should be full of laughs.

Draft saved Draft deleted