1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

blogs = sports journalism? Or Another sign of the Apocolypse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 16, 2009.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Thank you for that link, (the late) Mr. Vonnegut. And it was my good fortune to hear Mr. Deford speak at Chautauqua last summer, then meet the great man himself for a fleeting few seconds whilst he inscribed his name and mine in a copy of "Everybody's All-American." I don't often beg people for their autographs ... but for his, I gladly stood in line.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Deford writes for SI.com, to be exact, not to mention his Real Sports work, which is the top tier of TV sports journalism. I think it's very commendable to bring in D'Aulerio, or Leitch, if they could've gotten him.

3. Why?

Edit: I just don't see what Deadspin or TBL brings to the table that would qualify as anything even close to journalism. Maybe I answered my own question, huh?
    I go to Deadspin, Wizard of Odd and TBL (which will occasionally have an interview) and it will be nothing more than links to newspapers, other blogs, tv stations, various websites with news - by people who actually did the story.
    There is no reporting, some opinion and a lot of comments ... This is journalism how?

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

They bring in more web hits than most of our papers are ... and they aren't worrying about downsizing on a daily basis.
    It's not traditional journalism, but there's a reason Deadspin is relevent and flourishing and newspapers are dropping like flies.

5. They get website BECAUSE of newspapers. Sonmebody has to acutally do the reporting.
    If our paper linked interesting stories from every paper, TV station and blog in the state or the country we would get a ton hits too.

It's not traditional journalism. It's not journalism, period.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Newspapers are doing that. Except for the major papers, none get hits like deadspin.
    Like it or not, it's part of the transition journalism is going through. Deadspin finds an interesting story, links it, and adds their twist to it. Gets a laugh, gets hits, makes money. Part of the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted