1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLOGS!!!!!!!!! are so last decade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 3, 2010.

1. bwright

bwright Member

A must? Really? I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Once Joe Scho stops having his own tweets, he'll stop logging in to read the news tweets.

Direct messages will be the next new (old) thing.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Meh. It's all right, but nothing revolutionary.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't understand Twitter. It doesn't seem like an ideal toy for someone who enjoys writing.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I understand you guys who aren't down with Twitter. Nine months ago I was right there. It was a mystery to me. I think you just have to understand what it is, and what it isn't.

There are five kinds of tweets, as I see it...

1. Here's a link to my story.

2. Here's some quicky short news. This is pretty good too. You get a whiff of some story and want to get it out there immediately.

3. Here's a little analysis. Obviously, very little, in 140 characters.

4. Here's some quick observation on something that's happening right now, a game, a press conference, etc.

5. Here's a random observation that has nothing to do with anything.

Now, I think Nos. 2 and 3 are essentially to build up an audience for No. 1, which is the whole point of Twitter, from a media standpoint.

No. 4 is kind of useless and overdone, as far as I'm concerned, because the tweets mean nothing to someone who doesn't see them till later. I hate when I'm checking twitter and see a tweet from an hour ago that says: "What a great catch!" Worthless.

No. 5 is the biggest waste of time and what gives Twitter a bad name. I think you can sprinkle in that kind, to show your personality and make your followers like you, but if you do too much, you'll be unfollowed quickly.

I am a baseball writer, and I follow a hundred other baseball writers and teams, and it's the main source of news for me now. I find out what's happening in the majors immediately, rather than checking a handful of other sites. At the trading deadline and in the winter meetings, Twitter was the boss. It was the "place to go" to find out who was reporting what.

I check twitter all day long, just like checking my email.

I'll grant you that Twitter isn't going to be around forever, but at the moment I still say it's growing.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The reason newspapers half-ass Twitter, blogs, Facebook, etc., is that they no longer have the personnel to do anything right. As Steven Wright said, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

7. It will be when I start getting free drinks at the local whistle for being Mayor.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No. Certainly not for information delivery. For quick headline delivery with a link included, nothing beats Twitter.

Foursquare ... really, who cares? Like the Dodge Rampage of the 1980s, It answers a question nobody asked. I don't care where you are or what badge you unlocked.

(Unless you mean this game, which was cool as hell when I was a kid.)

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

When I was in fifth grade, I moved to a town where all the kids played two-square and four-square fairly competitively. The big jocks on the playground were out there playing spinnies and such. It was weird.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Wow. Dodge Rampage reference. I'm impressed.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Who cares if blogs are dying? They killed newspapers; their job is done.[/almostfamous]

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Okay - you've convinced me Twitter is still on the ascent...

but Facebook is truly leveling off, if not headed to myspace territory.

And Facebook never even figured out a way to make money!

A couple of months ago, it seemed like my friend total was going down. After awhile, I realized people didn't suddenly hate me - they were simply nuking their accounts.

Too much of a needless time-suck... too many hurt feelings over lack of responses, de-friending, etc... too many misunderstandings... too much 'TMI'-type crap. Seems like a lot of people aren't uploading as much and are also just saying, 'The hell with this.'

Draft saved Draft deleted