1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLOGS!!!!!!!!! are so last decade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

He declared Facebook and Twitter as dead or dying in the post I quoted.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They will. These things always peak in popularity and then slowly go away.

Before there was Facebook there was Myspace. And before there was Myspace there was Friendster.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, the article in the original post says blogs have lost their luster. Show a person who still uses MySpace and I'll show you someone still using a Commodore 64.

And a quick google turns up numbers suggesting those outside the 18-35 demo (which I noted) are growing faster than those numbers of that highly sought after demo.

Like RickStain said, these things always pass. At least they always have. Nothing has seemed to stick.

So, our left behind publishers and editors have us "get on board" way too late all while taking resources away from the one thing that makes us money (albeit not as much as in the past): The newspaper!

4. I don't think that's about the Internet being scary, but about it being constantly changing.

5. The problem is that young people don't read the actual newspaper. They just don't. And they won't. I brought a NYT to class one time to read in the 10 minutes before it started, and the woman next to me, who is 22 or 23, said, "Wow! A newspaper!" And these are the smart ones. For the long-term health of the industry, the print product as a standalone is dead.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Young people have never read newspapers.

The thing about young people is that no matter how badly they don't want to think about it, eventually they turn into old people.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

YouTube is still going strong, as are Flickr and other video/photo-sharing sites.

8. It's different. Those young people, throughout history, didn't read them because they weren't interested in the news yet. Those young people watched their parents read newspapers. They were aware of them. They just weren't interested in the news yet.

These, on the other hand, are young people, the ones I know, who are interested in the news, interested in current events. They don't read newspapers. They never will. They are not part of their consciousness. They are baffled, even offended, by the idea of paying for content, and certainly by the idea of carrying around a newspaper. Computers are the information Wal-Mart. One-stop shopping. They don't want a separate device to read the news and watch movies. They want it in one compact device, their laptop.

9. bwright

bwright Member

Twitter is on the way out, I think. I think Facebook will be around a while, in some diminished capacity.
    Yes, the new has worn off for its original market, and soon it will wear off for the oldsters who are now enamored with it. But it remains a good way of keeping up with the lives of people you know, and I can't see that going out of fashion unless something better comes along.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I would rather read those than a daily diary about one's children.

It is a dumping ground for all ages.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

No way. I think "Twitter for Consumers" may be the way out, but it's still climbing big time as a means of spreading news by the media.

Really, there's no reason for Joe Shmo to have a twitter account to tweet his daily activities or musings. No one cares. But for sports teams and other news outlets who are reporting stuff that people are interested in, Twitter is a must.

12. Foursquare.

Draft saved Draft deleted