1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLOGS!!!!!!!!! are so last decade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 3, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Could the blogs bubble be bursting?

A study shows that teenagers just aren't that into them like they used to me. Twentysomethings, too.

http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2010/02/is_blogging_a_slog_some_young.html

Seems they're an, ahem, greying of bloggers and their readers.

Everyone sign up for Facebook and Twitter now, k?

2. Facebook is skewing older now, too.

The whole social networking phenomenon actually seems to be slowing down, from my purely anecdotal observations of young people. They mostly just use it as an email system to send out invites to events and so forth.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And to join an endless parade of groups and fan pages for basic declarative statements.

4. Yeah, but most of the, "John Doe is eating a glazed donut!" posts come from the over-30 set, honest to God.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman became a fan of This.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I was going to start a thread asking the same thing. Facebook seems to be on the way down.

Not sure about Twitter b/c I never bothered.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This is the problem with newspapers trying "harness the latest technology." By the time they do, it's dead - or at least dead to the demographic we paper people try to reach (i.e. 18-30)

Take a chronological look:

Blogs
    Myspace
    Facebook
    Twitter

What's next? And how long does it last?

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why do you hate glazed donuts?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I can add another line item to your list of things newspaper executives got to too late in their attempt to harness the latest technology:
    AOL/Compuserve/Prodigy.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Thing is, even if you do "harness this technology" it's dead in two years. And then what? On to the next?

We're spending all this time, money and energy on "the next big thing" all the while, the only constant and proven product we have burns to the ground because most papers half-ass their effort on blogs, facebook and twitter.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Who said Facebook or blogging was dead or dying to any demographic? Younger people aren't doing as many long-form blogs, but that hardly means it's going the way of the flash mob. Facebook is graying, but that's more attributable to the number of older people signing on.

I know a lot of people are mistrustful of the Internet, but it's not the enemy.

12. Where are you getting THAT?

Draft saved Draft deleted