1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I think they could be. Again, I think it'll have to be handled on a situational basis. To ban all blogs from press would be a mistake because I think there are some legitimate ones that do practice journalism. As for fan ones, well, I have trouble differentiating between it and opinion journalism in definition. I love discussion of the topic, regardless.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

One other thing I think is interesting: How many bloggers will decide -- like many bomb-throwing newspaper columnists -- that it's easy to be snarky and critical from a safe distance?

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Probably a majority, at least at first. But I bet given the chance, some of them would/could do some high-quality work.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I like to listen to radio call-in shows -- especially after I read a message-board post from a fan who brags that "Tonight I'm going to ask him a tough question, and I'm not going to let him off the hook like the idiots in the media do!" Whether because of caller screening or other reasons, often the question is never asked. If it is, it's usually much more tame than promised on the board.

;)

It's even better if the person asks the question in person at shows that are held in restaurants and the like.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If what isn't broke, don't fix what?
    What is this tried-and-true "formula" that you speak of?

Because I don't think the BigLead's "formula" is very much like AaronGleeman.com, and I don't think Deadspin's "formula" is anything at all like FireJoeMorgan.com, and I don't think there are many "formulaic" similarities between Bat-girl's blog and Cecilia Tan's blog.

I think you're making too many assumptions based on your disdain for bloggers, and not looking at the reality that bloggers come in all shapes and sizes -- and some of them even come with original thoughts and, gasp, original reporting.

Draft saved Draft deleted