1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Came across a great piece in the Kansas City Star by Bill Reiter about blogging and its future relating to sports coverage/journalism. Check it out:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/162746.html

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Some reasons bloggers aren't journalists, as told from the bloggers themselves:
    and

and

Reporters who blog are a different animal all together, their newspaper pays to blog, stay objective and are not fans.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

From the story:
    Could this be a potential solution? It gives bloggers some in-house access, but keeps them out of the way of the working press. As long as it stays that way, the plan sounds reasonable. (To me, anyway.)

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Not a bad idea, until the fans, err, bloggers clog the lockerroom or press conferences.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Where do teams draw the line? At the college I cover, if they were to announce a blogger's box for football games, they'd get 92,000 applications from "bloggers."

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i don't think drawing the line should be too tough. set aside maybe 5 seats in the press box for bloggers. you take applications. an intern looks at each site and makes sure it's not just frankie freshman blogging about his fraternity. maybe he looks at the hit count of each site. take the top 50 or so applications and draw them out of a hat.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Goes back to the debate on here a while ago, when the Caps blogger was trying to draw up a set of standards for his ilk. Hit count, okay, but quality should count for something, too. If said bloggers are serious about applying, they should damn well bring more to the table than, "OuR TeAm RoXoRZ!!!"

And as far as pressers and such, again - limited, or even separate, access. No locker room. Ever.
    More work for the team PR staff, but if the bloggers give them a positive review, it's a win for the team, no? I'll be curious to see how well the Isles' idea works.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The piece in Sports Illustrated I read about the Islanders and their blogging area also said this:

"Afterward they can 'toss a few questions at a coach or players.' The rules? "All you have to do is bring your note pad and/or voice recorder. And please, passionate Islanders FANS only!"

So, they possibly could be in the locker area or presser asking questions.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I believe I read somewhere that bloggers would be able to speak to selected players, which I took to mean separate interview facilities for bloggers.

But if they're not, it's not the end of the world...as long as Islanders media relations enforces a reasonable standard of behavior in the interview room or the locker room and permanently bans anyone -- print, radio and TV included -- who violates it.

10. Johnny Dangerously

I've been at poorly monitored pressers where fans shouted out their own questions. I've been at others in which coaches played to the booster club in the back of the room, creating almost a mob mentality against any reporter who dared to ask a "negative" question. Both experiences came at Division I programs.

I feel a slippery slope under my feet ...

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Hell, I've been at poorly monitored pressers where self-important newspaper hacks kiss the coach's ass and drown out other people's questions. I've been at poorly monitored pressers where hairspray-reeking TV hacks waste one of a precious few questions with an enigmatic player or short-fused coach with the likes of "So, what was it like out there tonight?"

A horde of fans swarming into interview rooms would be a problem. But it's not like we have a perfect Utopia at the moment, or that fans are uniquely ill-behaved.

12. Johnny Dangerously

I agree more than you know, but to me this is just a recipe for making things worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted