1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging Traffic

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by ttomea, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ttomea

ttomea New Member

Started a blog during the winter and have really used this summer to focus on making improvements/tweaks to it. Just curious as to what tactics fellow bloggers use to drive significant traffic to their sites and if they'd be willing to share some. Or, as a college student with not a strong platform to publish off of (my personal blog), am I in too tough a place to attract significant readership in the first place? Thanks

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Add something about manny pacquiao in every post and tag every post with the words "boobs, lesbian, ninja, sex"

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

One of the things I did with my blog is I offered it to as many conventional media sites, newspapers, radio stations, community sites, and at least have them link to my site. I blog about auto racing and motor sports. I write about people from the areas for those sites. Maybe you can do the same. Find a hook for other sites to be interested in and tell them why it would improve their coverage.

4. ttomea

ttomea New Member

Yeah, I'll look into sending it out to different sites so they can link back to my site/increase views. Thanks a lot for sharing that advice; I appreciate it.

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

"What is good traffic" is a good question to ask here. We have a blog among the sports staff at my paper that gets no advertisement from the newspaper or links off the site that still gets 1,500-2,000 hits a month using social media and hashtags alone. If we get an interesting story on a specific subject with national impact, we splash it on message boards that deal with the subject. It's a grind at times, but watching that hit counter rise makes you proud of your baby.

6. Brian Cook

Brian Cook Member

What's the blog about? If it's about something that has enough of a following to support message boards, find independent ones, establish yourself as a useful poster, and write posts that address common discussions/arguments on those boards. If it's just whatever you want to post that's probably not going to get any traction unless you're a 99th percentile writer.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This is the kind of "response" most blogs get...so, enjoy!

8. prhodes

prhodes New Member

Social news sites works well, but make sure you submit other news sites in addition to your own. These type of sites value interaction, so if you are only there to promote your site, you'll get very little in return.

Draft saved Draft deleted