1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging can be fatal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Del Lord, Nov 9, 2007.

1. MoociePooh

MoociePooh New Member

My bad and I sincerely apologize to Mr. Petty for my gross misinterpretation.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mooc - i sincerely accept. thanks.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm going to have to be cryptic here ... but Harry would be really, really silly to take this to trial.

Like, Roger Clemens silly.

4. KuwaitLady

KuwaitLady New Member

"Some Guy" you must be apparently right because I haven't heard any more about this case, the writer nor have I heard it making it to court. How unfortunate.

5. VetBroMan

VetBroMan New Member

Yikes!!! And the winner is? "Some Guy"? No news or trial results after nearly two years apparently puts this writer in Roger Clemens' silly class, I presume?

6. KuwaitLady

KuwaitLady New Member

Maybe bowling writer Harry Page's defamation lawsuit in the spring of 2008 against his former employer wasn't so funny nor Roger Clemens' silly after all.
    Just to give up an update: Page earned a settlement judgment against the San Antonio paper and some of its employees last month (March, 2010). This settlement came after the Hearst Corporation was denied a "Summary Judgment to get the suit dismissed" verdict in December, 2009. Details of settlement weren't disclosed but I heard it was five times more than what the paper offered the writer when he was terminated. Sorry, Some Guy, this writer's desire to clear his name and regain his reputation wasn't so hilarious after all. I'm glad he fought back and earned a hollow victory in the end -- I thought the readers of SportsJournalists.com should be aware of this writer's successful court efforts.

7. I thought for sure this thread reappeared because of Jason Sobel's Masters blog from the first round. In fact, that's what brought me to SportsJournalists.com this evening, to see if anybody had commented on some of Sobel's Tiger-related "observations." A couple highlights from Sobel:

• Tiger Woods' ball just got some sprinkler head on the first hole.
    • Settles for par to remain at even through two holes. And no that's not meant as a double entendre.

The second part of that last one is from memory, as they removed the full post from the blog. Now I'm not a prude, and I certainly wasn't offended, but I did find it in poor taste to see something like that on ESPN.com. Entertaining (to me, but I'm a 28-year-old male) but tacky. And there may have been others ... I was just following for a short time at lunch.

Overreaction?

8. VetBroMan

VetBroMan New Member

This writer had guts to fight for what he thought was right and was rewarded for it!! He wasn't "silly" after all. He should be applauded for his battling spirit.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think we can call see where it was headed if it were to continue. But hell, Nike's using this whole thing to sell sneakers ... what is too over-the-top?

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

If those are highlights than, yes, you're overreacting if you think it's even mildly humorous.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I read those live yesterday and was plenty surprised. Sobel sometimes "stretches his legs" a little as a blogger, but that stuff was pretty juvenile to be writing from your basement, much less from the Augusta press room with a credential around your neck.

12. MoociePooh

MoociePooh New Member

--I thought the people who read this excellent thread should know this. This chapter has finally come to a rewarding close.

From the San Antonio Informer ---
    http://sainformer.net/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=1791&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=2590&hn=sainformer&he=.net

Posted at 10:10:03
    04/15/2010

Harry Page wins defamation case against Express-News

A settlement was reached in former sports writer Harry Page's defamation of character lawsuit against some employees of the San Antonio Express-News, the Express-News and the Hearst Corporation in March, 2010.

In November 2007, the Express-News terminated Page after editors accused him of lifting material for his bowling blog from two Web sites, www.pbatour.com and www.bowl.com, without attributions. The works appeared on the paper's site, but was later removed. Page insisted he reposted material with credit as outlined in his job description and did not plagiarize.

Page, represented by attorney Darryl K. Carter of the Houston-based Glickman, Carter & Bachynsky, L.L.P., law firm, sued the newspaper believing that the Express-News invented the false plagiarism charges after he refused to participate in a "voluntary separation program" in October 2007.

The settlement came in District Court of Bexar County Texas, 224th Judicial District, case no. 2008-CI-07082, after the Hearst Corp. was denied a summary judgment to get the suit dismissed in December 2009.

Details of settlement weren't disclosed.

Page worked for the Express-News as a sports writer from April 1970 to Nov. 7, 2007. He was considered the first African-American to be employed in the editorial department at the paper, and the first to be awarded a column of any type. Page was given a bowling column in the early 1970s.

He also authored a "Where Are They?" column for more than 15 years, and a "Post Card Home" section which featured collegiate athletes from San Antonio for nearly 10 years.

Page, a 1970 graduate of "St. Mary's" University in San Antonio, is a member of the San Antonio Bowling Council and the Edgewood School District halls of fame, and a Bowling Writers Association of America member for more than 30 years. He has earned more than 40 years, plaques and certificates for his bowling coverage and civic accomplishments, including earning Murrey Internationl's national Bowling Writer of the Year award in 1989, the Wood Award for the top writer in Texas in 1988, and receiving the San Antonio Black Achievement Award for excellence in athletics in 1995. He was also a member of the San Antonio Sport Foundation's Hall of Fame selection committee.
    He has been organist for the Mount Calvary Baptist Church in San Antonio for 34 years, and is currently substitute teaching in the San Antonio Independent School District.

Sources: The case was in https://apps.bexar.org/dklitsearch/search.aspx Also on-line: "Infamous Scribbers", "Blogging Can Be Fatal" and "Can't Stop The Bleeding"; Craig Silverman, "Plagiarism at the San Antonio Express-News," Regret the Error, Nov. 13, 2007; and "Reporter says Express-News defamed him with false accusations of plagiarism," Courthouse News Service, May 6, 2008.

Draft saved Draft deleted