1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging can be fatal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Del Lord, Nov 9, 2007.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yet you figured out how to use the quote function in this post.

I'm so confused.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I stepped in this mess.

Apologies to any Texans I may have unwittingly offended.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

People around here could stand to be made aware of a lot of things...how to use the quote function, how to spell, how to step away from the computer every now and then (especially those stick-in-the-mud mods).

But I would say we have a pretty good handle on what's going on in the print media industry.

4. VetBroMan

VetBroMan New Member

I certainly agree -- sportsjournalists.com is the best at informing the public of what's going on. And, "Gomer" (Reply #46) -- No, I'm not that unfortunate bowling writer; and, that isn't funny either.
    But, I'm glad I stopped by!!! Also thanks to "Mustangj17" (Reply #48) for the note on "Forum" presentation (I hope I cleaned it up properly).

5. KuwaitLady

KuwaitLady New Member

From the http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/?p=11649 website, July 8, 2008 --

Johnny C. says:
    Here’s where I have a problem with what the EN did to Harry: the phrase “which he presented in his bowling blog as his own.”Having seen what was posted, what was attributed and to whom, and seeing that the original authors had no problem with the way Harry presented it in his blog, what the paper wrote was a lie. Harry didn’t present the site “as his own.” He gave proper credit to the writers. That being said, of course he got “jobbed,” because he wouldn’t take the retirement deal So it turned into a witch hunt. When I heard about it, I was crushed. I’ve know Harry since we worked for competing newspapers in the Alamo City, and always respected how he handled his craft.

What the paper did to him cannot be undone, no matter what is written here. The mighty newspaper got away with it, and a good friend was taken down by “the man.”

It was a sad day for bowling when one of its best writers was taken out of commission. He will be missed, not only for his contributions
    to the sport, but for being a great friend to so many people involved.

6. MoociePooh

MoociePooh New Member

It seems to be a well-kept secret but it looks like this reporter is trying to regain his reputation -- Good Luck!!

http://www.courthousenews.com/2008/05/06/
    Reporter Says Express-News Defamed Him
    With False Accusations Of Plagiarism
    SAN ANTONIO (CN) - The San Antonio Express-News fired and defamed a longtime reporter on false accusations of plagiarism, Harry Page claims in Bexar County Court.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2008/05/06/Reporter_Says_Express-News_Defamed_Him_With_False_Accusations_Of_Plagiarism.htm
    Reporter Says Express-News Defamed Him
    With False Accusations Of Plagiarism
    SAN ANTONIO (CN) - The San Antonio Express-News fired and defamed a longtime reporter on false accusations of plagiarism, Harry Page claims in Bexar County Court.
    Page claims that after he refused to participate in a "voluntary separation program" in October 2007, the Express-News concocted false plagiarism charges, and published them, to dump him.
    He claims the newspaper, and three of its top editors, defamed him by publishing, falsely, that he "confirmed he had plagiarized."
    Page says he did not plagiarize. The allegedly plagiarized items were five items in a blog; Page says all of them "included attribution to the original sources."
    Page says the accusations are false, defamatory and will make it virtually impossible for him to find work elsewhere in journalism. He also sued Hearst Newspaper, the parent chain.
    He is represented by Darryl Carter with Glickman Hughes.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw, fuck 'em.

8. MoociePooh

MoociePooh New Member

Well, Mr. Petty, if you don't have any compassion, a feel for the thoughts of the bowling fans in Texas, nor the reputation of a seemingly loyal, old former employee, then the abusive sentiment you passed on is equally sent back your way. I don't think this is a joking matter -- and profanity really isn't necessary. Watch out for your "glass house" -- rocks could certainly break it also.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

10. KuwaitLady

KuwaitLady New Member

Right on!! I hope the reporter wins the battle. At least he didn't roll over and play dead. He's fighting for his name and honor -- and that's worth something, no matter what any one thinks.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Moocie,

That was a joke.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

TY.

Draft saved Draft deleted