1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging can be fatal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Del Lord, Nov 9, 2007.

1. KuwaitLady

KuwaitLady New Member

Hopefully, that's 300 ($300,000+) in career damages !!

Bowling in the newspaper? It sadly isn't going to happen.

2. VetBroMan

VetBroMan New Member

It seems that this corporation has a "double standard" policy.

I totally agree with this sentiment!!

Oops! I forgot to ask a couple of questions about this situation. Isn't this the same corporation and individual (Robert Rivard) that successfully chastised former New York Times' reporter Jayson Blair in 2003? If so, maybe they're making this guy a "Poster Child" to insure their abilities to be guardians of the internet, including a blog. Any way, they seem to be a little off-base in their accusations this time around, judging from Reply No. 13.

3. KuwaitLady

KuwaitLady New Member

The answer to your question is "Yes" -- and justifiably correct. You can get details from:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayson_Blair
    The score would read: Blair misconduct 36, Page 0 (in my continued opinion).

4. VetBroMan

VetBroMan New Member

Thank you for answering my question.

5. KuwaitLady

KuwaitLady New Member

It's been nearly four months since I've seen any bowling news and scores from the San Antonio area (where I'm from -- and, yes, I'm a bowler). I'm working overseas and Harry Page's bowling blog provided a link for me to find out what was happening in bowling in the S.A. and Texas areas, and on the national level (especially the PBA and it's Southwest Region program) also. Now, I don't have that luxury any more and it's ashame. I know bowling isn't a high-priority sport in the media, but eliminating its news and the provider of it wasn't right -- especially in the manner in which it was done.

"Some Guy" had the right answers.

I thought individuals on this format would like to know what other people think about this situation:

These are from the "Can't Stop the Bleeding" website:

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/?p=11649

Rosie Leutzinger said:
    After reviewing the documents regarding Harry Page’s dismissal from the San Antonio Express-News, it is in my opinion that Mr. Page did not plagiarize my work in his recent blogs. As a public relations manager, I create press releases and game recaps for the sole purpose of distributing information regarding the Professional Bowlers Association to national media outlets so that they can use the information in their news reports.
    Any time a media outlet uses the information in our press releases, it brings attention to the PBA which is our goal. If the information used is attributed back to the PBA then that is a bonus.
    It appears to me that Mr. Page did attribute quotes he used in his blog back to the PBA which is enough to satisfy me. I do not feel that he plagiarized the information in his blog. Instead, I feel that he used our press releases for exactly what they are intended to be used for.

Jerry Schneider said:
    I reviewed the materials from Harry’s blog and we have no problem with how they are presented because it does appear that he gives credit to bowl.com and/or the writer of the article.

Linda said:
    THIS IS TERRIBLE (the fact that Harry has been terminated)!!! Now I’m SURE we will never hear any bowling news in San Antonio! Harry kept us informed - he was the only local journalist to report bowling activities, results, etc. Or…will the Express-News assign someone else to TRY to fill Mr. Page’s shoes?

Joe Gennaro said:
    Something about the termination of sports staffer Harry Page at the San Antonio Express-News doesn’t add up. The guy is a longtime member of the Bowling Writers Association of America and he has earned numerous writing awards for his coverage of the sport for at least 30 years. I believe he was even selected national bowling writer of the year in the late 1980s. Any way, I would think the guy would know how to credit his sources.

Stuart Trueblood said:
    Is the San Antonio Expresss-News trying to destroy this writer’s dignity, respect and honor? It wouldn’t allow him the decency to retire gracefully. From what I’ve read, heard and know, this writer had been a well-respected icon in San Antonio before these bogus charges put a damper on all his accomplishments. It really isn’t right and very unfair to his legacy. Hopefully, Harry Page will be eventually exonerated.

6. MoociePooh

MoociePooh New Member

Did anyone stop to analize if this good man was having a day when “old timers” syndrome had kicked in? Maybe he has a brain illness that causes forgetfulness? Don’t beat the man before he is examined!

7. VetBroMan

VetBroMan New Member

This is what the Bowling Writers Association of America think about the dismissal of Harry Page for alledged plagiarism in San Antonio. I thought the readers of this forum should know.

2008 BWAA Hall of Fame Candidates
    Presented for distinguished contributions to print, broadcast, telecast or photographic bowling coverage among BWAA members. Electees become BWAA Hall of Fame members.
    HARRY PAGE: Worked for the San Antonio Express-News as a sports writer from 1970 to Nov. 7, 2007. Member of the San Antonio Bowling Council Hall of Fame. BWAA member for 30 years and a former director. He has earned more than 40 awards, plaques and certificates for his 29 years of bowling coverage and his bowling blog for two years.
    (If the BWAA members thought he was a so-called plagiarist, I don't think that he would be a nominee for its Hall of Fame. Admittedly, it seems the writer did get a bad deal from his former employer. I guess he wouldn't retire on his own. Wouldn't it be something if he was elected? It might be justice.)
    JERI EDWARDS: For almost 20 years she has written instruction bowling columns for bowling publications and magazines. Jeri is a writer for the My Bowling Coach website. She also has excelled at every level of coaching, especially as head coach of Junior Team USA and Team USA. She won one professional bowling title.
    HENRY FANKHAUSER: Began a daily column for the Washington D.C. Daily News in 1954. Retired now, he still writes for various papers including the Nations Capitol association publication. He wrote for the Prince George and Montgomery Journal newspapers in Maryland. Did color for D.C. first tv show and created Bowlers Night at Laurel Raceway and RFK Stadium.
    BOB JOHNSON: After serving as international editor for Bowlers Journal International, Bob this year was promoted to editor of BJI. Authors Bowler Journal International’s BJ Plus. Has written for magazines and bowling publications for more than 25 years while winning many major writing awards. Continues his popular BJI column, voicing opinions and suggestions to better the industry.
    CONNIE MARCHIONE: First covered bowling tournaments in the late 1940s for the Cavalier, a monthly publication for the deaf. He helped start the Motor City Deaf Bulletin and also the Pacific Coast Deaf Bowling Newsletter. Co-founded the Deaf Bowler Magazine and wrote a regular column. Has won numerous awards for articles on deaf bowlers since he started writing in 1973.
    DAN McDONOUGH: For 40 years Dan has been an important part of the world of bowling as a writer, editor, publisher, photographer and historian at every level. He currently owns and operates the Sports Reporter in the New York area. He has been elected to three bowling halls of fame and has won awards for his writing and photo endeavors.
    LYDIA RYPCINSKI: A bowling writer/photographer/promoter for 30 years in the United States and 21 countries. She also has been international editor for Bowlers Journal, media director for PWBA and media coordinator of World Cup. Currently lead writer for coverage of the Chicago Sun-Times annual charity event Beat the Champions.
    LYLE ZIKES: Former BWAA president and PBA press director. Frequent contributor to Bowlers Journal International. Bowling writer for the Daily Herald in Illinois. USA Bowling Coaches Council member. Chaired BWAA future Task Force committee. Current BWAA board member.

8. MoociePooh

MoociePooh New Member

D. Powell writes on regrettheerror.com, posted Feb. 14, 2007:

It hurts me to think that when people want to know about bowling in San Antonio that there will be no place to find it. What hurts the most is that the Express News doesn’t consider bowling worthy of being in there paper :(. After the release of Harry Page I stopped reading and purchasing the Express-News. I hope that one day they will see the error in there ways and bring bowling back to the Express-News. Since bowling is a big sport in the city of San Antonio.

9. VetBroMan

VetBroMan New Member

Eliminate the messenger -- kill the message!

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

all one reader weeps.

11. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Clearly you've never worked at a newspaper in the heavy-Polish regions of New York State where bowling is a God of sorts.

*rocks back and forth in fetal position in the corner: must never type bowling agate again*

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bowling agate? ... for christsake. [/movingarm,handinjerkingoffmotion]

Draft saved Draft deleted