1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging and social networking

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm the so-called Web guy – I need to put that title on my business card – and the ad people bring up the use of Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook as some tools that would allow us to connect with our online readership.

In light of the RMN use of Twitter at a funeral, I was wondering if any you all out there have to Twitter or post to social networking sites in your day-to-day routine?

Obviously the ad people are clueless since using Facebook and MySpace doesn't bring any additional revenue in. I don't see who it would draw readers into a paper's Web site either.
  2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

At the top level, there is, for example, a Washington Post news widget that you can have on your Facebook page and pass along to others in a viral way, getting it all over Facebook pages.

We used it at my place to spread a March Madness app last spring.

So yes, there are ways to use Facebook to push traffic to news and sports websites.
  3. does anyone know how to make one of those facebook applications? it's like an rss reader, i think.
  4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

The preps folks at one newspaper I know are using Twitter to send out HS football scores on Friday nights.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Does your avatar know how to make money?
  6. KP

KP Active Member

Solid use of Get Fuzzy, ducky.
Draft saved Draft deleted