1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloggin'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I'll never tell, Jan 18, 2007.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I consider myself a halfway hip individual, but I've never really jumped on the blog bandwagon. Don't know why, I just don't read them.

That being said, recently I have been thrown onto aforementioned wagon and told to drive our sports department into the future.

I'm halfway clueless.

All my guys have to do blogs (we're midsized and we already do desk). Here's the question(s):

Who does blogs right? I would like to print off and/or send links of good blogs to my writers to give them something or style to mimic.

If you do blog, how much time a day do you spend on it? We're required to do (at least) four a week. With as much as my guys already do, I wonder where this extra time will come from.

My boss has already told me that he thinks the blogs need to be a good cross section of each person's beat, complete with links to other stories and such. I was just wondering if this was some pie-in-the-sky dream, or if everybody's is like this.

Thanks for all your help.

2. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

We're supposed to be getting blogs too at our paper...but essentially the hierarchy is clueless about them.

I started my own this summer and prep sports fans around our area seem to like it. I started it to sharpen my skills a little bit and get things out there that we didn't have the space to print.

For each entry I may spend 15 or 20 minutes writing. I just kind of use a topic that interests me for that day.

You can look at my blog here...

http://blanchard-river-buzz.blogspot.com/

3. BRoth

BRoth Member

Buster Onley's on EPSN.com is one of my favorites, so is David Pinto at baseballmusings.com

they both get the most important parts of blogging down - write often, include links and don't get too preachy

4. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

We're starting blogs in the next month or so. It's just myself and two other full-timers, and I'm asking that we do at least three per week. Then, once a week, we're going to print the "Best of the Blogs" in the paper edition. Maybe one entry each from all three of us. Not sure how it's going to work out, but I think it has good possibilities.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's not sports related, but the Lexington Herald-Leader's PolWatchers has become one of my daily must reads. I think the format can easily be converted to sports with little problem.

Depending on how active your writers' beats are, this may be the best option. Have just one collective blog and let everyone contribute to it. Then, depending on the traffic or repsonses generated, you can spin-off subjects into separate blogs.

Just one hack's opinion.

6. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Peter Abraham. Yankees beat writer for the Journal News.

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/

8. 35in44

35in44 Member

I agree on Steinberg's blog from the Washington Post. It's one of my favorite reads of the day.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No question - what they said. Dan is very, very, VERY good. The shame of it is he isn't in the paper much (if at all, can't remember the last time I saw one of his stories).

10. Perry White

Aren't they reprinting some of his blog entries in the space where Kornheiser used to be?

11. Perry White

Isn't pink an odd choice? :eek:

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

I got a blog for the college team that I cover. I spend about 15 minutes 4-5 times a week updating it. It's good for feedback and interaction with fans, so overall I like it. The main thing, though, is keeping it fresh. If you don't update it for like a week, people will likely go elsewhere for that sort of thing. Plus its much different writing a blog than a gamer or feature on the same subject matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted