1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLOGGER! tries to explain the difference between BLOGS! and journalism ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chi City 81, Jan 24, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good point.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Plus, the blog would most certainly not have helmets.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

HELMETS!

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

saberdouches are not baseball fans. they are math nerds attempting to be cool.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Really? Attempting to be cool? Come on. A critical fault of people who spend so much time focusing on numbers might be that they fail to recognize the human element in the game, what that means to teammates, and what it means to fans.
    But to think because they consider numbers in different and less traditional ways, and conceive of new mathematical ways to evaluate players, that they are not fans - asinine. If pull aside 10 'baseball fans' as you see them, and toss numbers at them, chances are they could match the record to the player. Fans know numbers. So-called saberdouches just do more with them than others, and aren't satisfied with skimming the surface.
    To me, you argument is like saying a laboratory worker, who toils away in relative isolation trying to devise ways to stop cancer, is somehow less of a doctor than the person holding the patient's hands as he or she is suffering.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sabermetrics, the apparent cure for cancer.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, you are a saberdouche?

8. MartinEnigmatica

Uh, no. I just see a bit of logic where you paint with a broad brush. People who love statistical analysis are not infallible, nor are people who love to get in a locker room, talk to players, and go to the ballpark every day. There's a lot of middle ground.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

think i learned of saberdoucheness just 25 minutes ago and made up my mind then? jesus christ, marty, give me a break.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

"Saberdouchenessnozzlesquirts" makes me smile.
    I don't know why.

11. MartinEnigmatica

No, probably not. But I'm out of breaks, can I give you a Kit Kat bar instead?

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It is a fantabulous word.

Draft saved Draft deleted