1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogger Rule of Etiquette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mira, Oct 16, 2010.

1. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

The only issue I take with this post is the implication that it's the bloggers who lack etiquette. If anything, the beat reporters are often the most arrogant, entitled, and imposing beings in the locker room. I know there's a deadline on the 400-word gamer, but back the fuck up for three minutes, dude. If I asked you to give me a second for a one-on-one, I don't want you lingering nearby in hopes that my questions will bring some color to your piece.

Worse yet: the beat reporters who think they're BFFs with the athletes. They'll stand in the clubhouse nearby a player's locker just shooting the shit while the window to get a one-on-one interview closes. It's nice to be recognized (I still remember the first time a pro athlete remembered our interview and enjoyed the write up), but let me do my fucking job.

And a side note, because I think it might be relevant: I worked a Pacquiao-Margarito presser last month and no one there appreciated the concept of a one-on-one. A nice gentleman from the LA Times was interviewing Pacquiao, and all the cameras and mics that were asked to be turned off gradually resurfaced. I was waiting for my turn, and the PR guy did the best he could to back everyone away to honor my interview but no one listened. Waste of time anyway, because every answer was, "I really focused my training."

Don't get me started on the heaps of merchandise being handed to Pacquiao for an autograph, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted