1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogger Rule of Etiquette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mira, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Mira

Mira Member

I covered a state prep event and was having (what I thought was) a one-on-one conversation with a coach. A blogger from a competitor's paper is sitting behind us. When I am done talking to coach, I learned the blogger was putting tidibits from the conversation in a live blog.

Hey, I have no problem with the blogger coming over with a recorder or notebook and joining the interview, but does anybody agree his actions were crappy?

2. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I agree. However, most bloggers aren't usually known for their etiquette or ethics to begin with.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Was he somewhere he wasn't supposed to be? If he wasn't, what makes him wrong?
    He's working for a media outlet, he has right to access to the coach, too.

4. Mira

Mira Member

Yes, he should have access to the coach, Mod. I don't mind if he joins in, I just think he should get off his butt and ask a couple questions. The coach's school isn't even in his pub's circulation area.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

yeah, perhaps - if he was close enough to hear so well he could live blog it, he could have asked something from there.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

He has a right to the coach, but not to eavesdrop like that. If it's a scrum that's one thing, but a one-on-one he can wait his turn and ask his own questions.

7. Mira

Mira Member

That's what I think, CF. I was standing with coach and blogger was sitting about six feet away.

Twas no scrum, but next time, I'll make sure to pull coach away from blogger with a computer. I thought it was rude and I would never do this.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Is it different than when someone armed with a TV camera jumps in and films without ever asking a question?

9. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

No different at all to me, I get just as pissed.

10. If this guy was being all secretive about it, it's as unethical as not disclosing you're a reporter and just eavesdropping.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does anyone really care about the live blog for you to make a stink about it anyway?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You got owned.

Draft saved Draft deleted