1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogger Bashers Rejoice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by auggie_ben_doggie, Oct 8, 2007.

1. I'd prefer they wear the jerseys so the athletes can differentiate between the serious guys (reporters and bloggers) and the fanboys - then again they'd probably spend more time getting fellatio with the fanboys.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Agreed. I was "called out" by a blogger even after the blogger contacted me (not identifying himself as a blogger at first) about something I had written in a column.

I explained my point. I even offered historical evidence that supported my point.

Still, the fan, err, professional, err, blogger called me out, skewing everything to make his point.

I'm not bitter. I just laugh.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I have no argument with you there, Doc. Anyone wearing a jersey in the press area had better be a player who can't find his way to the lockerroom without directions.

4. captzulu

captzulu Member

From the quotes in the story, it sounds like most of the bloggers who were there saw themselves as fans with a backstage pass and acted accordingly. They never really even tried to pass themselves off as real journalists, so if you were expecting hard-hitting journalism out of them, you'll obviously be disappointed. But I don't really have a problem with them being in the locker room, as long as they don't get in the way of real journalists (which, from the story, it seemed like they didn't). There are non-journalists in pressboxes and locker rooms at sporting events now, so what's a few more? From the team's perspective, doing this increases the number of information outlets covering your team, and the coverage from these outlets are more likely to be positive than traditional media.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

First of all it's hockey. I don't think those of us covering MLB, NFL or NBA have (as much) to worry about.

The NHL can't gain any footing in the US and it's losing what it already had. This is just a ploy as the story said to get more info about a niche sport out there.

Even power player Nike sold off Bauer because it's losing money.

Any other league would never try this.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's time for my standard statement about the worthlessness of Chris Botta, the Jay Horwitz of sports that nobody gives a shit about.

Well, there it was. Chris Botta is a useless piece of crap. He'll credential stupid fanboy bloggers and shit on any other non-mainstream media that wants to cover his shitty team. Go fuck yourself, Uniondale Chris Botta.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Am I the only one who finds this kind of brilliant? The other sports don't need the exposure, but for hockey this is damn smart. If I were an NHL flak, I'd credential anybody who wanted to write a single inch about any aspect about my deader-than-fried-chicken sport. Now, do I want to work alongside these assclowns ...

8. Babs

Babs Member

Ha, I think you mean the opposite. The NHL doesn't do ENOUGH marketing, that's its biggest problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted