1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blockbuster to close remaining stores

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Nov 6, 2013.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can't speak for Mizzou, but the selection wasn't great and the late fees made a loan shark look reasonable.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

RedBox for the movies just out on On Demand for $2.00 not $15.00.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

No doubt, but Mizzou really seemed to carry a deep *hatred* for the joint, which seems a bit extreme. Fascinated if there's a $14,000 late fee or a tale of being mocked by a teenage clerk when Mizzou confessed, "I don't care what you say. Godfather III is the best in the trilogy."

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

That's too bad. We had one of the remaining ones near us. Every once in a while it was nice to go there (and our selection was just fine). Could rent a movie for $1.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The selection at my local BB was pretty good. And the late fees, I don't believe, never topped a buck or two. Same as the late fees for RedBox.

The only thing I hate about DVDs is that most of them -- at least every one I rent from RedBox -- are shown in widescreen. I hate that. I have big TV screens, and I'd rather the movie use the entire thing instead of just a portion of it. So dumb. I've stopped using RedBox lately because of that. I'd rather pay the extra couple bucks and rent it via OnDemand.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I got some great B-movies for a buck when Blockbuster closed down here a few years back. I updated the software on my Blu-ray player recently. It has links to Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora, and something else to stream content, but I only connect it to the Internet for the software updates. Guess what? Bye bye, Blockbuster link.

I refuse to do RedBox, because there's no reason to drive to 10 physical locations looking for one stinking copy of a new release when I have an Apple TV. I'll rent from the corpse of Steve Jobs. The problem with that is that the files are so damn large when you rent HD. The movie takes forever to load, and it always stalls to buffer at least twice every hour. I don't have that problem with Netflix or Hulu, so Apple's using a much larger file format ... I guess. I dunno.

We still have Hastings, and I'll try there first because they have a great rental pricing system. I can build up a ton of rental credits just by watching the movie and taking it back the same day. I haven't paid Hastings to rent a movie in nearly six months.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

This guy got a hold of Mizzou.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/blockbuster-in-memoriam#slide-1

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

You and me both.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/66695/

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You can get online and find out what movies are available in different boxes near you. You can even reserve copies.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

But you can do that with no pants on...and that is heaven.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the last time I visited Blockbuster was when I got hooked on The Wire and Entourage and burned through both in a matter of days.

Draft saved Draft deleted