1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blockbuster to close remaining stores

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Nov 6, 2013.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

So, it's just basically Family Video now.
  2. There were two BlockBusters in my county.

First one is on the busiest stretch of the county (something like 30 restaurants/eateries in a 3-mile stretch on the same road). Closed more than 3 years ago. Flattened. Now a very popular Longhorn Steakhouse.

Second BB is in the county's second-largest city (22K). As of a couple weeks ago, it was still open but had its "going out of business sale." Probably should have stopped in to see if any deals were to be had.

There are two Family Videos within 30 miles in smallers cities/towns. Both have done very well.

After the second BB closes, not sure there will be a non-RedBox/non-DVD Now rental place in my 100K county with the exception of the public libraries.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There's a Blockbuster store a mile from my house. We'll go there when the movie we want isn't on OnDemand. Last time was July. We rented the first season of The Sopranos to watch while on vacation. Cost like $5 for the entire week.

Every time I've been in there over the past year or so, the place has been pretty busy.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I worked at Blockbuster in college. When I was there, they were wondering whether to start stocking DVDs or whether it was a fad. I spent a good deal of my time trying to calm down wives who swore there was no late fee because, after all, their husbands had said they returned the movie on time, as promised.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I like how things have gone full-circle with video rental stores.

When VCRs first became popular in the early 1980s, movie nuts and other local entrepreneurs opened mom & pop stores in the neighborhood strip malls.

The success of these stores prompted chains like Blockbuster and Family Video to move in and undercut the locals with bigger selection and (sometimes) cheaper rental fees.

Now Netflix and other online movie streaming sites have done the same thing to Blockbuster.

And who's left offering the brick-and-mortar movie rental option? In our town, the only place (besides those damn Red Boxes) is a local mom & pop store.
  6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I never like it when companies close down, because people lose their jobs, but I hate Blockbuster so much that I'm less sorry to see it go than other franchises...

Good riddance...
  7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

What sparked such hatred for, of all things, Blockbuster?
  8. Roscablo

Roscablo Member

I bet I haven't stepped in a Blockbuster in eight years. When we moved to our current town more than three years ago there were still four Blockbusters here. Now there is one and obviously that one will be going away.

It's funny, though, with all the options to watch movies now whenever you want -- on demand, various streaming services, movie channels, which actually get new releases faster than ever now -- without a physical disc I have a hard time motivating myself to sit down and watch something. And I love movies. Still get a couple Netflix deliveries a month or look at what the library offers just for that reason. Won't miss the video store.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mizzougrad was one of the husbands busted by Dick about the late fees.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So much for the Blockbuster Bowl.

And as convenient as it is to just use Netflix, I still miss making having to make thel trip to the video store with Mrs. S, picking up a couple of films, going back, making some popcorn and watching a movie. Made it seem a little more special. Just hitting the remote a couple of times doesn't quite have the same specialness.
  12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I liked Blockbuste By Mail because you could double your movie watching. Get one in the mail, then swap it out for a different movie at a store while they mailed it back for you. By the time you watched it, the next one was in the mailbox. It was amazing.

Then I stopped seeing Blockbusters. So now I have to wait three days for movies with Netflix. Boooo.
Draft saved Draft deleted