1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blizzard of '15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 25, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"East Coast snowstorms receive a disproportionate amount of coverage" is a far cry different than "people will treat it like it's the biggest crisis in not only the entire United States, but in the entire world."

Why are you surprised that weather events, which often create good visuals for television, and shut down large regions of the country forcing people into their homes - where, you guessed it, they turn on the television - receive heavy media coverage? I agree that the coverage goes over the top, but I understand why, and your take is just as over the top, if not more so.

Defining the entire region as "egotistical, panicky, drama queens" because CNN airs coverage of an impending storm that will significantly affect 25 million+ people (and thus attract viewers) is absurd. Name the other event happening today that affects 25+ million Americans that should be receiving more coverage than the storm.

CNN shouldn't cover earthquakes in California, tornadoes in the south or hurricanes hitting Florida anymore either. ;)

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Surprised at some of the posts about how little snow everyone is getting. I've got about 13 inches on my deck, with drifts over 3 feet in my neck of the woods. National Weather Service is still predicting 2 feet of snow.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Fortunately, my area of NOVA wasn't hit at all. We got a dusting of snow and that's it. All secondary roads in my hood (and the interstates) were completely cleared when I left the house at 7:30 this morning. Thank God for that. As usual, areas north and west of DC got a little more, up to 4 inches in some places, I think.

The people in New England have my sympathies. Fuck that shit.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pennsyltucky was cock teased twice this weekend. Predicted 5-8 inches on Friday night and we got two maybe. Predicted 4-6 inches Sunday night into Monday and we got two maybe. More annoying than anything.

5. JackReacher

How is that annoying? If you're a lover of snow maybe. To me, that sounds like great news.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

It's annoying because it sends everyone into a panic. A simple trip to the grocery store becomes a fistfight because every asshole in a 10 mile radius is buying milk, bread and toilet paper and acting like they won't see civilization again. Schools prematurely schedule two-hour delays or cancel completely, kicking the school year further into June and creating a childcare headache. You reschedule or cancel plans because of it and...barely anything. If I can look out the window and still see my wipers underneath the snow, your storm is a piece of crap.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Was this worse than the DC earthquake disaster?

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Obviously, you know where I'm at, but the drifting is super weird in my area. My car still barely has any snow on it, but directly to the right is a 12+ inch piling. Similar thing going on with all of the other cars on my street.

9. JackReacher

Yeah, that's fair, BYM2.

One county school system about an hour or so away started off this morning with a 1-hour delay. Then, it went to a 2-hour delay. On my way to work, I heard on the radio that it was closed. How in fuck does that happen?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We can still get the two feet they were calling for if it snows another 18 or so inches. Shakespeare wrote a play about this storm. Transit in from Jersey isn't running yet but is expected to be by the time I need to go to work. Was planning on working remotely today but maybe not. Cars moving on my street at a pretty normal pace.

Maybe this is a plot to make me hate snow less (umpossible). Scare me to death about TWO FEET of snow and then bring relatively little.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

Similar thing here. They went to bed with a two-hour delay, we got no snow overnight, yet they're closed.

12. JackReacher

Hell, I didn't even realize school systems around here still utilized the 1-hour delay. My county dumped that a while back, I think. For most DC-area schools, it's a 2-hour delay or closed. There's absolutely no point to a 1-hour delay.

Draft saved Draft deleted