1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blizzard of '15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 25, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes, it will. And for the next few days, people will treat it like it's the biggest crisis in not only the entire United States, but in the entire world.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's only a crisis if you lose power or a tree falls on your house. But don't forget, almost all those 25 million people will have nothing to do but watch TV and go online if they DO have power. They are a captive audience for the panic-mongers. We get 24/7 storm coverage here even if the storm fizzles out, as happened once a couple years back.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NYC Mayor: ‘Reconcile Yourselves
    With Your God, For All Will Perish In The Tempest’

By the ONION

NEW YORK—As a major winter storm continued its advance toward New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio advised residents Monday to make peace with whatever higher power they call God, for all shall meet their death in the coming tempest. “The furious hoarfrost bearing down upon us knows neither mercy nor reason, and all within the five boroughs will perish, cowering in their brittle dwellings,” said de Blasio, adding that none would find succor from the gale save those favored by providence to pass quietly in their sleep. “This shall be a tempest the likes of which has never been glimpsed by man or beast. Clutch your babes close to your breast and take small comfort in knowing that they will howl for but a few hours before death becalms them forever.” De Blasio added that, barring an unexpected intensification in the storm, normal subway and bus service would resume Wednesday.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hour-long delays at LaGuardia ... so apparently the storm hasn't arrived yet.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's arrived on this side of the Hudson. Snowing harder than I've ever seen it snow.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Northeast, Moddy!

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sure they will. :rolleyes:

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My all-time fave hurricane-related video...

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still nothing here in Bennington.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There was wall-to-wall coverage on CNN today. It was the top story on Google News all day.

This isn't new, either. Why do you seem so genuinely surprised that East Coast snowstorms receive a disproportionate amount of coverage and panic?

I mean, I was born and raised on the East Coast, and I've rarely encountered anyone who thought snow coverage and behavior was entirely appropriate for the "magnitude" of the situation.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Fox News: snow proves Obama lied about global warming

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

This is my first winter out in the woods, so we had to do a lot of prep work.
    Chances are high we're losing power, which is not awesome because we have a septic system that needs to be running or something bad happens. Bought a 7500 watt generator yesterday, filled it with gas, and filled another tank with gas so, worst case, if the power goes out tomorrow we have enough to get us through Tuesday and Wednesday and by then hopefully I'll be able to get to a gas station to fill it.
    Where we are if we lose power, it won't be up in a day or two. Last time there was power out in this neck of the woods, my in-laws - who are five minutes away - were without power for a week.
    The one thing I've noticed is people freaking about perishable food if the power goes out. Apparently they don't realize two feet of snow and winter conditions makes for an awesome fridge.

Draft saved Draft deleted