1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blizzard of '15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 25, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The reports I saw tonight were for 24 inches of snow in NYC and 33 in Hartford, Conn. That is a shit-ton of snow.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

65 and in shorts today at 5,280 feet.
    70 tomorrow.
    Then 69, 58, 50, 52, 45 and 58 next Sunday.

They really should put the Super Bowl here one time. Yes, it could snow. Or could be more likely what it's going to be this week.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Looks like it might start as early as midnight in New York, though the worst of it is still projected for Monday night into Tuesday.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

We had 26 inches in eastern Connecticut during the blizzard of '13. Will be interested to see if that is topped. I am a high school teacher now, and we have a professional day Monday; I most likely won't see my students until Thursday.

I, personally, can't get enough of these weather situations, winter or summer. Don't know if it is a New Englander thing or not, but it seems the vast majority of us love talking about this stuff.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

By the way, I always meant to ask how Buffalo folks were doing after their 7 feet of snow back in December. There were a lot of worries about flooding, but I never really heard anything at all within a few days after the Bills had to play that one game in Ford Field.

Anyone from SJBuffalo? What became of Snowpocalypse?

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

They had 50 and rain the weekend after Snowvember - some minor flooding, but not as bad as it could've been if ice jams on local creeks hadn't broken loose. Most of whatever damage they got was from roof collapses. Think the final death toll was 12 -- mostly shoveling-related or auto accidents, but either two or three were people who got trapped/buried in their cars.
    (Similar to Blizzard of '77 in that respect.)

Went up for the Cleveland game Thanksgiving weekend; about the only sign left was plow-manufactured mountains. (We had to park in the driveway sted backyard at the house where we tailgate, but that was due to mud, not leftover snow.)

old_tony likes this.
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I hate snow. A lot. I may have mentioned that previously.
    Had some errands to run so I went out early today. In the hour I was out, it got progressively worse though not terrible yet. Ella and I are about to go try and get a walk in before it gets real bad. I figure it will be 2-3 days before we're able to get in another. I went grocery shopping on Friday so I'm well stocked there.

Work is good about going the remote route. We've pretty much been ordered to do that today and tomorrow.

Still, I hate snow. A whole lot.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Since this is happening in New York and Boston, I'm sure this will be covered like it is the end of the world as we know it snow storm.

When Denver gets that much, nobody will blink.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The difference between Denver and Boston is that sometimes in Denver it'll be 60 two days after a big storm. Here, snow that falls in January is there for months. After a huge storm, smaller storms become real pains in the ass because there are limits to where the snow can go when you try to move it.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

NYC is the most important place on Planet Earth.;)

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Imagine the coverage if this was a year removed and the Super Bowl was in town on Sunday.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Right. It couldn't possibly be that a lot of our fellow East Coasters are egotistical, panicky drama queens.

JackReacher likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted