1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blistering Dallas Observer music review

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Andy Langer, music critic I often like, made a good point about this review: It's not a review as much as it is just a vehicle for jokes and snark. It's like getting up on open mic night. His point is that it's always harder to explain why you hate or you love something than it is to just make jokes about how terrible it is. Not saying a review like this doesn't have entertainment value, but I can see his point about this kind of criticism.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's pretty easy to joke and snark about the crappiness of Florida-Georgia line, Jason Aldea and the rest of the cookie-cutter bro-country acts (dirt roads, beer, beach, beer, spring break, beer, trucks, beer, getting laid, getting laid and getting laid).

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Right, which is Langer's point. It's sort of low hanging fruit. It's not that it's not entertaining. I chuckled at this. I'm just not sure it's good music criticism.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it's trends like bro country (and disco, boys bands and Miley Cyrus) that need a good blistering.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Was it intended to be?

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C_YP-GYb2Pc

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The best country music criticism today is being produced by Jason Isbell and his Twitter feed.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Bro country" is a good term for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted