1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blistering Dallas Observer music review

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. One of my best friends from college is a big folk-head - he organizes the Ferdinand Folk Festival in Dubois County, Ind., every year, which has gotten pretty big. Anyway, he saw him last night in Nashville at the Ryman and said it was incredible.

2. I'll bet this guy hates Nickelback.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Waylon Jennings was from a small town in West Texas. He probably herded cow and even saw a few tumbleweeds. But I get your point. :)

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And Jennings' father was a dairy farmer, so yeah.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Another solid line right here

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That line about ranching/herding skills was pretty awesome you guys

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Yoakam? Rules.
    Waylon? Rules.
    Aldean? Boy, the people from my neck of the woods think he's the shit. Instead of just being shit. Musically.

The Ebola analogy could have been handled a little better, even for an alternative pub, but the sorority crew being herded backstage passage was gold.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Writing a bad review from most of the current crop of country artists is easy. What's tough is writing a good one - now that would take work. Don't know if I've seen one.

You can't write about their abilities to play the guitar, harmonize or deliver a heart-felt lyric....what do you do?

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Watermelon Slim's "No Paid Holidays" is pretty damn good.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't know what type of music Jason Aldean or Florida Georgia Line are, but it sure as hell ain't country.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Anybody watch Foo Fighters' Sonic Highways on HBO? This week's episode was in Nashville and a pretty interesting look at the town and the industry.

12. Are ranching and herding skills the country music equivalent of being a "real thug" to rap music?

Draft saved Draft deleted