1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blistering Dallas Observer music review

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

On a Jason Aldean/Florida Georgia Line concert:

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2014/10/jason_aldean_florida_georgia_line_gexa_energy_pavilion_review.php

Starts with this (and remember, this is Dallas):

And then escalates:

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am now completely in love with Lindi Ortega.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for, dumbass.

I know it's the raucously hip alternative press,
    but you still have to draw the line somewhere.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It opens a good debate: Is being right here a defense?

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with the debate, but there's good stuff in the comments:

"I am Watermelon Slim, a retired trucker and sawmiller. www.watermelonslim.com is my music site. I have two country CDs you'll like, because they're "old country," plus a bunch more, AND it's all my own.

That grave you're talking about was dug and filled years ago, but the celebrity-making and formula-following processes have undergone great strides in efficiency.

Of COURSE the fans give no thought to whether the performers are farmers, or truckers, or anything that might give the music some VALIDITY. Them ol' boys 'n girls are jus' partyin' raht on down with that cheap beer. "Youbetcha, dog! Farmers!? Whutnthehell give you THAT idea, dude?"

Hey, at least they were no fights, right?"

Followed by the moderator:

"@bluedemocrat normally we'd delete posts advertising things, but the name Watermelon Slim is so good that I'm going to let this one slide. More power to you, Mr. Watermelon."

6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I think anybody reading this knows the writer is speaking in extreme hyperbole (and it's a freaking music review). But if a person wants to say that they'd rather have a life-threatening disease than listen to certain bands, I don't see why anybody should stop them.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm insensitive from years in the newspaper biz, but that review is exactly what you look for in an "alternative" paper. Over the top, looking to piss off and entertain with extreme examples. I loved it.

This was my favorite line:

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Shouldn't that be "Mr. Slim?" Damn alternative press playing fast-and-loose with grammar.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

God, that's a great line.

I wouldn't go to the well with it again, this only works if it's really the worst concert she has ever seen and will ever see, but I like it.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This. Bingo.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that Dwight Yoakam or Waylon Jennings ever herded a cow in their lives. Both of them are fucking awesome.

Jason Aldean doesn't suck because he never herded a cow. He sucks because he sucks.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Dick, have you listening to Strugill Simpson, btw? He's effing great.

Draft saved Draft deleted