1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blind date etiquette ... UPDATED

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ColbertNation, Aug 14, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Re: Blind date etiquette

A wealth of useless pointless information?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Be polite and emboss your zipper in Braille.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Drinks at one place with an option for dinner within walking distance always worked for me.

I probably went on a dozen blind dates in a 2 1/2 year period. Not sure why I usually agreed, but my female friends and the significant others of my male friends tended to be pushy yentas.

Some were awful (I think that I wrote here about the anti-Semitic vegetarian), some were OK and the last one 10 years ago turned out to be Mrs. W.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I thought of that as I typed it. One of many J.D. moments in my day.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Check with the person arranging the set-up that your date is not a 30-plus-year-old virgin.
    Otherwise, you could end up on the Internet being guilt-tripped into pursuing a relationship that doesn't include sex.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bless you, Buck.

Bless you.

7. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Wonderful.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd go with 30-minute emergency phone call. If the date's going well and the chemistry's great, turn the phone off before the 30-minute mark.

If your "emergency phone call" friend hears the phone immediately go to voice mail, he knows the date's going well and he doesn't bother them. If the phone rings and the dude on the date answers, follow through on the plans to get out of the date.

Of course, that's a suggestion from an amateur who has even less of a clue about these things than Mikey does. Take it with a grain of salt as big as Prince Fielder's posterior.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Do you think you can introduce me to the anti-Semitic vegetarian?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd laugh like a mo-fo if you set up the emergency phone call for 30 minutes and HER phone rang 28 minutes in - she gets up in a rush and says, "So sorry. Got to go. Emergency!"

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

On the brighter side, I think I found someone on the board who's as big a geek as I. That's right, Sam Mills. I'm calling you out. On a dating advice thread, you throw out the Yoda "Do or no not, there is no try" quote?

Wow. You've got a complete set of the action figures, dontcha Sammy? :)

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Come on, now, Moddy. I thought you knew women better than that. Our phone calls are set up for the first 15 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted