1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blind date etiquette ... UPDATED

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ColbertNation, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Re: Blind date etiquette

Shit... go. It's not immediate marriage. No matter how unattractive you may find her (or she, you), give the gal a fun night out. Surely you can have fun whether you're interested or not, right?

Seriously, take it from a guy with NO SOCIAL LIFE. Go. Have fun. Don't ditch her. Be a gentleman.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't you have trick knee or bum shoulder you can wrench out of socket? Much more believable.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Either tell your friend you don't want to go on a blind date or go through with it and stick it out for one nght.
    Yes or no, no middle of the road bailout.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dinner or drinks and a movie, the old standby. Movie's a good option because it eats time, talking isn't necessary (discouraged, even) and if she's not so easy on the eyes, well, it's dark.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But you don't want to blow 70-80 bucks, though.

I'm assuming you will pay.

Drinks my man. Drinks.

6. 93Devil

No on movies.

You should never go to a movie until you have at least stood beside the first baseman. Too awkward.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, don't be an ass and don't expect too much (i.e., to get laid on the first date). Like Devil said, keep it simple. Dinner and some kind of activity (not a movie -- do something where you can talk and get to know each other; bowling, mini golf, ice skating, something like that all work great). Try to call her before the date and talk to her a while. Figure out what she likes to do, and it should also give you an idea if you're compatible or not.
    If the date goes well, offer a kiss at the end of the night but no more (unless she attacks you and rips your clothes off, of course; then have fun). If it's a disaster, just have fun with whatever you do and chalk it up as a life lesson. Great piece of advice I heard once ... it's not whether you win or lose, it's whether you wake up with a great story.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Unless she has a tattoo, then start the loin-girding before the salad comes.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You want a knee that gives out and usually pops at the worst possible moment? I have one I can spare.

On a serious not, either commit to go or don't go. To quote Yoda: "Do or do not. There is no try."

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And when the salad does come, toss it around a little and wink at her. She'll get the hint.

11. 93Devil

Remember if she smokes, she...

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is a middle of the road. Keep the initial phone call short. Arrange to meet for coffee. Do it early -- after work (normal people's working hours). You don't have to come out and say it this way, but you can set it up so it is pretty clear that this is a: "you don't know me, I don't know you; this is awkward by its very nature; let's not force it if it is a disaster."

If you get there and your inner Chuck Woolery is telling you to get the hell out of there, you have an easy out. You met for coffee. "It was a pleasure meeting you. Adios." If she doesn't have any large goiters, a third nipple on her forehead or the personality of a longshoreman with a case of the gout--and she isn't bailing on you--you can graduate from the coffee place to a place with food or drinks, or arrange to go out again under less forced circumstances. Otherwise, it's one coffee... and it's been real.

Draft saved Draft deleted