1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bless you, Gregg Easterbrook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

ESPN's TMQ includes an item about newspapers in his column today. It's mainly about how home printing might be an option for readers in the future, thanks to technological advances. But he ends the item with this ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/091006&sportCat=nfl

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I thought you were going to say he wrote short.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

A do-it-yourself delivery at home might end the oddity in 2009 of half the papers in a night's run having a partial game story, seven hours before the paper hits most doorsteps.

4. sportsed

sportsed Member

Sorry, but gotta call bullshit on the contention that the "vast majority of news on the Internet originates as a newspaper story." Save for some major investigative project, I dare say there's nary a story that hasn't been available online before the newsprint is dry on the first edition. In fact, nimble news organizations should be on to the second day's angle before said newspaper hits the driveway at anyone's home.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I believe he was including newspaper sites in that statement. As we've all seen the most popular sites link like crazy to papers' sites. Get rid of newspapers (and their sites) and suddenly Deadspin and FARK and the rest are scrambling for content.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that first sentence is one of the bigger piles of crap--which I wish wasn't--that I've read in a while.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Lately, the motto of newspapers seems to be: "Stop me before I print again."

8. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Bless him? You must be confused.

That wasn't a sneeze... It was him calling someone 'a Jew'. No need to bless.

Draft saved Draft deleted