1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleeding money at American Airlines

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 21, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If I have to go to Montreal, it almost makes more sense to take the train.

It's about a four hour trip and it takes you directly from downtown TO to downtowm Montreal.

The flight is about an hour or so.

Factor in the time waiting around, security checks, cabs from the airports to either downtown and you may save oh, 45 minutes.

Tad more expensive. But not much if you factor in cabs.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have pointed this out on other threads. For everyone locking oil in at an unrealistic low price as a hedge, there is someone being the yang to the ying in that that trade who made a bad bet. And sets the market price for oil. And in this environment, in which oil is close to $130 a barrel, with estimates that it will reach $150 soon and $200 in the medium to longer term, there is simply no opportunity to hedge in a fairly low price. Someone might have gotten lucky with a prescient bet somewhere along the line -- and hedging does benefit people like airlines, who without a futures market would be at the entire whim of market forces and you'd see great price fluctuations and hundreds of industries going under every time there was a short-term oil shock.

But the self-fulfilling talk is not quite true. It is a chicken and the egg and the chicken clearly came before the egg. People see the supply and demand factors and the uncertain geopolitical atmosphere (the chicken) and those forces are driving the price of oil up. When supply is limited and demand is increasing, prices of ANY commodity go up. The fact that the future markets reflect this, and look at economic factors to predict that the price is going to further increase -- which is why money is flowing that way -- is the egg. But the chicken clearly came before the egg and in this case, and brought about the egg.

The only caveat is if investors, or speculators, are forming a bubble through some sort of irrational exuberance, which can drive the price up beyond what the market would dictate based on supply and demand factors. Such bubbles are never sustainable, though, because they are out of whack with market forces and an invisible hand always brings prices back to where they should be based on supply and demand factors. And the bubble pops. There may be an element of that right now, making oil more expensive than it should be in the short term, but that would be a phenomenon that will correct itself. People will eventually take their losses on bad investments when the markets correct themselves and the prices will find an equilibrium -- just as they always do; just as they did during the tech and Internet booms in the late 90s and early 2000s.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I can't wait to see what happens to the folks that try to drag on a suitcase that has to be checked because they've run out of room in the overhead bins.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

I never fly American, because every time I look they're always one of the two most expensive flights. Just go broke already, because this is ridiculous.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

'Twill be a sight to behold.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess they won't charge for gate checked luggage...yet.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't fly often, but my wife and I flew American when we went on vacation in January. got my American Advantages card in the mail Monday. guess I'll just rip it up.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Since my recent travel is for business, I found a rather nifty way to avoid the excess weight charge. I interoffice mailed the excess stuff back.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hell yeah, I would.

And what this does is piss off 90 percent of the cabin because the assfucks that try to cram everything into a carryon the size of a hockey equipment bag will just have more people adding to their numbers...

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. markvid

markvid Guest

And adding onto the time it takes to load a plane, then the extra time it will take to check the baggage that won't fit.
    Yeah, this was thought out well.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

AA's ticket counter employees are gonna deserve combat pay the next couple months. I can't imagine how much bitching and anger they'll endure for this.

Draft saved Draft deleted